Is it wrong to teach children about Atheism?

If a child (a child of any age) asks you a question about atheism, agnosticism, paganism, etc. Is it OK to share the truth with them?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 10:51 AM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Religious Debate

• There are more and more atheists "coming out" and start gaining more attention. We are not terrorists, evil doers or devil worshippers, we are good people believing in reason and we are here to stay. I think it is only fair that our presence is known. If we are can coexist with all the religions of the world I think all believers should know about us, and respect us, including children. I wish we were better understood. There is nothing wrong with reasonable approach to reality, without faith.
    BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 8:51 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I will teach MY kids about atheism as I am an atheist. I will NEVER teach another child about it. I will tell them it is better to ask tehir parents and tehn tell teh parents that the questions were asked and I told the child to ask them. IF the parent then says "it's okay for you to tell them about it" then and only then will I speak with the child.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:56 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Teaching your children about other faiths is only smart in my book. Be it Atheism or Pagan or whatever.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:58 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I've come to recognize myself as agnostic. I used to believe I was Pagan but I think that was mostly influence from classmates I spent a lot of time with in highschool. Before that, I was raised Christian. I intend to raise my son with stories from all different religions. Lack of focused religion has not in any major way affected my life, and I feel that if he chooses to worship one God, or multiple Gods, or no gods....that will be his choice, and he will be happier with himself for having come to the decision on his own than if I had forced some religion down his throat, and left him ignorant of others. I have a brother and sister who are both Athiests. That's their choice, and I don't judge. My son will go to sunday school, and learn about Jesus, and God. He will read books about Native American gods, and Greek gods. And I'm sure that he will make the best decision for him.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 11:13 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Not only would I answer their questions but I make sure they are exposed to these things. Being an interfaith family it's very important to us that our children are exposed to as many belief systems as possible...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:49 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I want to add I don't share our views with other kids. When my son's friend came for dinner he asked why we didn't pray and I just told him we didn't and left it at that.
    tabekat

Answer by tabekat at 2:18 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• If a child other than my own asked me about religion, I'd do my best to get out of the conversation quickly. I would HOPE other parents would do the same for my child. I plan on teaching my son about all religions but I don't think anyone else needs to give their input unless I invite them to. But we already have people knocking on our door regularly to shove their beliefs down our throat, so I know sooner or later he is going to be prosthelytized to (spelling?) and I will try to not freak out even though it will infuriate me.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 9:25 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I wouldn't lie to them.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:52 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Yes I think it's perfectly fine. But then I border on atheism/agnosticism, so of course I would say that, LOL.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 10:53 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Why would it be okay to teach them about every religion but the "non-believing" ones?
    sojourner.

Answer by sojourner. at 11:00 AM on Oct. 7, 2010