Cramps

What do you do when you have bad cramps at the start of your period to alleviate the pain and discomfort (other than Midol, which I have already taken)?

QueenMomma2023

Asked by QueenMomma2023 at 10:56 AM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Health

• Heating pad and a glass of wine
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 7:11 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I have chronic bad cramps whether I have my period or not due to Endometriosis and PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) for over the last 25 years and I learned back when I was diagnosed that staying away from anything with caffeine in it including chocolate does help but of course does not make it go away completely. The only thing that works for me is exercise, no coffee etc. and taking prescription medications like 800 Motrin or even Vicodin when it is really bad.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 11:30 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I have endometriosis so I have horrible pain during my periods and cramps that can be debilitating. My doctor used to prescribe a medication called Toradol, which helps with cramps, it's an NSAID. I also LIVE on ThermaCare patches. They are heat pads that you can buy at the grocery store or at Walgreens that stick on your skin and they help a lot. I get the mentrual ones and the ones that go on my back so that I'm covered in heat. It's the only way I can function. Midol, tylenol, and ibuprofen do nothing for me. To be homest, not much does.
    Patesmom

Answer by Patesmom at 11:08 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Um, so this might sound weird...but I have always gotten pretty bad cramps and one of them best things I've ever figured out for them is direct heat. My mac laptop has this square shaped charger thing that gets really warm. One day--in the midst of killer cramps--I placed it right where the pain was, 15 minutes later I felt 86% better. Now I use it pretty much every time I have cramps. Hot water bottles are messy and disposable heating pads are expensive.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 11:13 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Heating pad.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:13 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Pamprin, Midol, things that that don't work for me. I saw an ad for Excedrin menstrual stuff, decided to try it - man oh man does it change things! I also live on my heating pad - on my lower back/hips usually. I wish I had a smaller second one for my stomach. I've thought about using the ThermaCare heat wraps - they do have ones meant to go on the lower stomach for period cramps! But my stomach is so riddled with stretch marks I wonder if they'd stay on. They work wonders everywhere else I've used them though!
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 1:02 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Heating pad is my savior.
    Luisa621

Answer by Luisa621 at 2:19 PM on Oct. 8, 2010