If your a single mom...

Would you do a background check on the guys you started dating? To make sure that your not dating a sex offender of even someone wanted for a crime?

I am married and don't have to think about stuff like this but in the event anything happen to my husband I wouldn't have some man in there life if I didn't know everythign about them. I wouldn't want them to be hurt because I am dating a weirdo...

Claudiomom

Asked by Claudiomom at 10:56 AM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Relationships

• I was a single mom for a long time and yeah I did, it was a good thing because one of the guys had a VERY long and RECENT (within a month) domestic violence record. He had actually just got out of jail and was still having court dates set. In my state you can look up criminal records online for free, public records. But I never paid for a check on anyone.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 11:00 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I did do background on my now husband when we were dating. All he had was a bad check.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:18 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I do background checks on all men I will find myself in a close situation with.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:27 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My mom does it for me! She just did one on a cop I started seeing, and I went to grade school with him until we were 14!
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 11:43 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Its important that we do background check...I have done backgrounds check but I also done female backgorund checks as well...meaning I asked previous girlfriends about them because not everything is on paper.
    mom42107

Answer by mom42107 at 12:37 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I background check EVERYBODY - family included and everyone that knows me knows I am doing it. I even background check landlords and employers! I had one landlord got very uncomfortable when I "passed his background check....can I have your first month's rent pls" and I told him "that's great but I am not renting from you until I background check you first". I found out that although he was still driving, he'd lost his driver's license over 9 yrs before for 12 drunk drivings! On top of that, he also had a fraud case and I found out later that he was taking all the rent checks that were supposed to be going to an agency and he left the country with more than $10,000!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 5:59 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• My BFF fell head over heals for a guy. she was 15, come to find out he was 24. She got pregnant, and somehow or another state services called her. They had found out her boyfriend got her pregnant... He in fact was a child molester. He had raped his sister. Her mother found out.. and god only knows why, made her marry him so he would stay out of prison. She said "for the baby to have a father". So they went to Idaho and got married. Later came the abuse. While pregnant even. Once he was so angry, threw a shoe at their dog, hit it in the brain and killed it. Three years later (currently) They just had another baby. He beats the $h!t out of her at least once a month.. I've tried getting her to leave, but she’s become so brainwashed because of him she’s too afraid to. My advice, background check every single guy. WHY NOT? If they are mature adults, or parents even, they will understand. If they don’t Good reddens.
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 6:07 AM on Oct. 8, 2010