Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My dog ate a snack size box of raisins - what should I do?

Answer Question
 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:54 PM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Pets

Answers (24)
  • raisins are heatlhy and as long as they aren't chocolate covered, the dog should be just fine.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:59 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

  • He'll be fine! :) My dog ate a bag of hershey kisses and lived! (accident of course lol)
    Steph319

    Answer by Steph319 at 2:06 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

  • Raisins are NOT ok for dogs to eat. They are a diuretic, as are grapes. If you have a big dog, then most likely he will be ok. If it is a small dog, call the vet and ask what you need to look for. The system of a dog can not handle those kinds of foods like we can.

    http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp
    babybees2

    Answer by babybees2 at 2:43 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

  • actually raisen and grapes are in fact bad for dogs. I wouldnt worry about a snack size box but I would talk to your family vet about what to do in the future.
    But_Mommie

    Answer by But_Mommie at 3:16 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

  • how big is your dog? raisins are toxic to dogs, the bigger the dog, the more tolerate the dog would be to the raisins.
    a few other foods dogs should avoid are, onions, grapes, chocolate and mushrooms.
    i think that the fact that it was a small box of raisins, you should be fine. best of luck!
    seanesc5

    Answer by seanesc5 at 3:48 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

  • you people are funny! raisins won't hurt the dog!might give him the runs,but he'll be fine. thanks for the laugh!!
    pam228

    Answer by pam228 at 4:00 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

  • actually PAM228....rasins are toxic to dogs. I actually had a dog die because we were givinh her grapes and rasins as treets cuz we thought they would be healthier than dog treats.....it her into kidney failure.... We know better now.... no rasins or grapes for the new family dog!
    CoreyLynn

    Answer by CoreyLynn at 4:05 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

  • Never heard raisins were bad. My lab eats everything! My vet said that the only chocolate that is bad is the baker's chocolate. He gives hershey kisses to the dogs sometimes. I would call the vet anytime you're in doubt.
    profmom922

    Answer by profmom922 at 4:24 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

  • He will be fine! :o)
    MamaDiane

    Answer by MamaDiane at 4:39 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

  • Raisins are very bad for dogs. I would call the vet right away.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:40 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.