Newbie Projects

I have just bought a sewing machine and am starting to try and teach myself how to sew with it. Do any of you wonderful gals know what kinds of projects would be perfect for a beginner?

QueenMomma2023

Asked by QueenMomma2023 at 11:00 AM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• The best projects for beginners are pillow cases and curtains. Learn to sew a straight line first. Then, cut a circle out of material, and try to keep your stitching an even distance from the edge all the way around. This will help with sewing curves. You could also try drawing lines on cloth, and sewing along them, doing S lines, zigzags, etc to get the hang of sewing in different ways. Remember when sewing a permanent stitch to backstitch when beginning or ending, otherwise you can pull the thread right out.

I'm self taught...and I feel fairly proficient. You can learn a lot by looking stuff up on the internet for patterns. Good luck!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 11:03 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I remember in Jr. High the first thing we made was an apron! Of course that was back in 1966 LOL
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 4:14 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Go to Joann's and walk around and find their free patterns or take a class for beginners. They are fun to take. Or look for a local craft store if you have one.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:35 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Rice bags.
    Monica84

Answer by Monica84 at 12:49 PM on Oct. 7, 2010