What do you do about a big raccoon in your back yard?

My kids and I saw one last night looking right through the glass kitchen door. It was kinda cute. But I heard their dangerous are they?

janeq123

Asked by janeq123 at 11:03 AM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Pets

• I would RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN! lol
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:04 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• They are VERY mean!!!! You can get a trap thing from the animal control, its humane so you don't have to kill it but catch it.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 11:04 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Just leave it alone. Does it get in your garbage? We used to have them actually open the closed lids on our garbage. They are so smart!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:05 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• They are very aggressive and carry rabies. I have actually seen them hiss and charge. We were walking down a sidewalk one night I heard this hissing and growling. I look up, and in the 20 foot high tree above my head I see 6 sets of red eyes staring at me. I shined the light on them and the momma was the size of a black lab!!! And the babies werer growling and hissing too. Call animal control and have them removed asap.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:09 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I am wildlife transporter. And while I'm not allowed to carry Rabies Vector Species, PA has very tough laws on wildlife, I know a LOT about animals. UNLESS you think the animal has rabies it's NOT dangerous!!! The only ppl that get bitten usually provoke them. The best thing to do, since it lives in the city it's probably used to humans, is to keep your yard clean. Don't leave garbage out, get containers that lock, don't leave standing water. Look at your yard like an animal...is there food, shelter? Once you get rid of these enticing things it'll most likely move onto greener pastures. PLEASE don't hurt the wildlife!
    eriexchick

Answer by eriexchick at 11:23 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• We have racoons everywhere. Sometimes you provoke them just by walking out your front door, trash or no trash. Animal control picks them up all the time. If you don't know if the animal has rabies unless you test it(not all faom at the mouth)how can you make the grounded decision that it's not dangerous?
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:30 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Run!!!!!Those thing are meaner than hell!!!& keep all your doors closed.Make sure that you have no garbage around.They usually come out at night and look for food.My 18 pound cat got in a tangle with one a few years back.The raccoon won.Stinker was very lucky.Now he doesn't mess with them.Call Animal Control.They will set traps out.You more than likely have a family living in a tree close by.Be careful.
    bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 12:41 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Musicmom, if you see an animal foaming at the mouth and standing/walking it is highly likely that the animal has distemper, not rabies. Both make the animal dangerous, but rabid animals foam at the mouth because they are paralyzed and can no longer swallow. Distemper, poisoning, and a few other reasons can also cause foaming at the mouth.

Rabid animals will more likely be seen acting out of character ~ being out in the daylight, no fear of humans, attacking when no cornered, etc. (although once they are used to cities all bets are off).

Erie posted excellent advice ~ don't feed or water them, don't provide shelter, and don't bother them unless you have to. Wildlife is important and worth taking some extra care to preserve rather than just killing.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 4:41 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• We had Two that would Faithfully come up on our deck every night at 10:00 & eat all of the food in the bird feeder & then look in the kitchen window! The first time i saw them i Freaked- Out! LOL We later found out the Momma had her babies under the deck- So, we actually put food out there for them every night for a couple of months b/c they weren't leaving- They got so they would come right up to my husband and take the food- But, i would Not Suggest that at all!! It Scared me to death that one would attack him! i always watched through the window- After a couple of months i guess they decided to move-on; i have pics. somewhere i will try to find them to post:) Be Careful they are So Cute but, Very Unpredictable!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 4:54 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• yes raccoons can be dangerous if they are cornered. If you want the little critter out of your yard do what i did. I went and borrowed a live trap and put some food in it. the next morning i caught my little pest and hauled it off to a wooded area away from my home.
    Michelle2669

Answer by Michelle2669 at 8:17 PM on Oct. 7, 2010