what are you doing as a parent to spread the message to your children that it is not okay to bully?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 11:16 AM on Oct. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• I talk to my son about it all the time. His sister has mild aspergers and I worry about her being teased so it hits home to me!

I talk about how it would make someone feel and how everybody is different and shouldnt be made fun of for ANY reason.

I also talk to him about watching out for others who need help. He is a very smart and thoughtful kid and I want to instill in him a desire to help and friend those who need it.

I would come UNGLUED if I ever knew he was making fun of anyone! But I truly dont think he would!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:19 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I have an 8 year old daughter who was bullied by a classmate in the second grade the girl would pinch and harrass my daughter yeah I put an end to that quick the school was notified by me and told this was unacceptable! *huff* My girls know its not ok to be a bully!They were taught better than that!
    Truelove77

Answer by Truelove77 at 11:19 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I talk to him openly. I explain about hurting people, in a physical way or in an emotional way and how it hurts them very badly and we have to try to be good to people and not do things to hurt someone. (he's 5)
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 11:30 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I ask my kids if something teagic was to happen to that person you would feel responsible for the rest of your life. It is not worth it. There is so much more to do than to bully others.
    goldengrl65

Answer by goldengrl65 at 11:41 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I talk to my children about bullying. My oldest is 9 and has autism so we are dealing with this ourselves. Yet, he comes home and bullies his nearly 4 year old sister. We talk about how all people are different. Some people's differences are more obvious than others, but we don't point out those differences and we don't tease people because of those differences. In the case of my oldest, when he bullies his sister, I ask him if he likes it when people are rude to him. I ask him how it makes him feel and that he knows he is making his sister feel the same way. I'm very upset over bullying and am dealing with the school with this issue.
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 11:42 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I am raising my child (almost 3) to be kind and compassionate to all people, to not differentiate or group people based on religion, race, sexuality, gender, etc, etc. I want him to know that we are to love and respect everyone, no matter what. People are people, and he will be taught to see people as people, as fellow human beings and creations of God, and to celebrate who they are and that they are as God made them.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:57 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Talking to them. My kids are far from perfect, but they know we have a zero tollerance policy on this one. If I ever hear they are a bully...well it won't be pretty. My kids are very soft hearted anyway, so I don't think I will have a problem.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:33 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• i tell them that they dont like it when other kids are mean to them so they need to be nice to others. i also tell them how it felt when i was bullied as a child. i ask them all the time if the other kids are nice to them and i tell them to please tell me if they are being bullied and not hold in their feelings like i did.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 1:42 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I've always taught and will continue to teach my son to treat others the way he wants to be treated.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 2:29 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I tell my children that its important to be kind to everyone, that it is okay to not like some people but it is no okay to hurt them, physically or with words. I tell them everyone has a right to be respected. We also talk about hurting peoples feelings and how sometimes those hurt feelings are carried through the rest of someone's life.
    I'm currently having an issue with my youner son being accused of bullying, and unfortunately I know that while he has gotten into squables or arguments that can lead to wrestling around (which again is not okay) its not intentional or as though he's seeking out a specific person it is both children. So we're revisiting this since one little boy's mother is perceiving it as bullying even if her child has instigated. Talk about a hard concept to explain when your son is frustrated, and hurt that his friend would say things that weren't true. So we're having more discussions about this.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:48 PM on Oct. 7, 2010