Does anyone out there have an unemployed husband who is a stay at home dad and you are out working? How is it going.

My husband was an IT worker for many years and has been basically unemployed or working very part time now. I used to be a stay at home mom. He is now picking up my daughter from school and doing traditional " mom" things. Is anyone else out there going through this?

earthpig

Asked by earthpig at 1:55 PM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Money & Work

• it worked well for us. The only issue we ran into was other's bad mouthing our decision. They always said things like "He should be the one working and you should be at home with your kids" but if it works for you, just ignore those comments. What matters is the kids being taken care of and the bills paid :)
    Anonymous

• No, not yet. We are hoping to bring him home next year. I have a home business and once I hit an income of 30K-40K he is going to come home and be a SAHD so that I can grow my business full time. As of now he is still working 50+ hours a week.

The kids really miss him and wish he was home more. I don't know why it's seen as a bad thing when dads want to be full time. I figure as long as you can have a parent home with the kids what does it matter which one it is?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:32 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• My husband is a truck driver because he loves what he does and is Union so the benefits are great. However he gets laid off usually in the winter time and this year seems to be coming sooner because of the economy. We have a home business through YTB and it has been a blessing during the lay off periods. Not only that but we both get to work from home and the kids enjoy it. When he works his driving job that is just extra income for us and gives him the opportunity to share our business with others out of state. I think stay at home dads rock! Don't let society rule what goes on in your household.
    CheerTravelMom

Answer by CheerTravelMom at 4:06 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Like anon 2:01, when I did this with my ex, the only issues were what others thought. Mostly our families telling him to get a job or me to leave him because he wasn't working. He had a health problem that kept him from working, but no one cared. It was challenging for both of us to have so much criticism from others...especially since we hadn't asked their opinions. And our daughters loved having dad at home with them.
    profmom922

Answer by profmom922 at 9:18 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• This is how my family is doing it. My dh quit his job last year (long story), and when money got tight, we took our daughter out of daycare and he stays home. He goes to school in the evening, so he can get a better job soon, when she starts going to kindergarten. I work full time. It seems to work for us. Yes we have to deal with what others think, BUT my dh said he sees other stay at home dads around town, so he knows he is not the only one!
    sunmoonstars

Answer by sunmoonstars at 2:21 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Hello,

Hubby wishes he can be home. When he was home he had a homes based biz. He made pretty good money.

It was dealing with cars and oil and stuff, so he loved it. Are you looking for your man to make money at home?

He should check out what hubby does. Check out www.LALube-N-Oil.com

Hope that helps.

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 7:28 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• We chose to have DH be a SAHD from the beginning. He did his parental leave for 6 months and then once we realized we could swing it financially, he resigned. He's been home for 2 1/2 years so far. And it is working out well. I don't know how we'd do everything if we were both working.
    jbs_mommy

Answer by jbs_mommy at 1:23 PM on Feb. 7, 2009