when is the best time to get a pet for my son?

i grew up with pets my whole life even when i was a baby. but i don't know when i should look into getting a pet for my son

greenlooker7

Asked by greenlooker7 at 11:38 AM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Pets

• Personally I don't believe in getting pets for the children, you can't expect them to care for them. IF YOU want pets and the responsibilty that goes with it, then get one at any time
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:41 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• We just got a puppy. My kids were 14, 6 and 4. The older 2 are great with the dog. They can feed and walk it. The youngest has a very hard time with it. He is so small that the dog overpowers him. The dog chews on him, like everyone else, but since he is so small, he falls to the floor crying. It's not good And it is a 12 pound dog. From this experience, I would say that 4 was too young. Six to me is the minimum age for a dog.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:45 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• according to animal shelters,they will not let a family adopt a dog or cat if there is anyone under the age of 8 years old.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:50 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I got a dog when my son was 2 and a half. We would've gone younger, if we'd found the right dog. I work at an animal shelter and we had this beagle come in. He was adopted and returned 3 times before I decided he needed his forever home. I tested him before I brought him home. I could take food away from him without a growl, or snap. I could pull on his tail, his feet, his ears without a reaction. He doesn't jump much, and he's very lazy. He's only 2yrs old. He also doesn't bark. He does whine, if we're not paying attention to him and he's out on his lead.

I recommend an older beagle to anyone looking for a first time pet for their kids. They're great family dogs. Keep in mind though they are hounds, and cannot be let off lead without tight supervision. They're runners that follow their nose.

When you get a pet depends a lot on what you're getting. Fish are easy for kids and adults. (Cont in next post)
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 11:52 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Cats are great pets, because they're low maintenance, but you'll be hard pressed to find one that's good with little kids. They like their space, and don't often tolerate tail pulling. Kittens are good, but require more work, and are more likely to scratch unintentionally.

When picking a dog, be sure to find a dog that's right for your household. Find out what dogs require lots of time and attention, and which ones fit your schedule, and your space. Don't get a big dog if you live in a small house. Good luck!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 11:54 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I think that rather than getting pet for the child, you need to get a pet for the family. A child is not going to be repsonsible enough to be a sole caretaker of a pet for a long time. I'm not sure what kind of pet you're looking at, but I would just make sure you have the time/money/commitment to add a pet whenever you get one. If you are run off your feet with baby care, for instance, it might not be a good time to add an animal to the household. Not knowing what kind of pet you're looking at it I can't give any specific advice, but with a baby toddler I would probably either wait a couple years for the child to be old enough not to pull tails and ears, or get a rehomed pet that already has experience with children. My experience is that nippy puppy or kitten plus exuberant toddler is not a great matchup!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 5:58 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• the younger the better/there is no perfect time to tech the responsibility for anothers life.

Taking care of something that depends on you is learned behavior..not one our expect them to do when they turn a magical number..it starts off with you caring for it..as they get older they help feed it..then they help clean it..
    eventually they will care for their own pets..
    i believe all pets are family pets and should cared for y the family.
    Water_geM

Answer by Water_geM at 11:00 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• When he's married LOL
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 11:48 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• This really depends on when you feel like taking care of one bc if they are too young or irresponsible that is what is going to happen. So think it over before you give in.
    dgall3

Answer by dgall3 at 3:02 PM on Oct. 9, 2010