Moms with kids that have tubes on their ears...!!

Can you tell me how the surgery and the recuperation process?

After 8 months of ear infection today the dr decide that my son needs tubes on his ear since he is getting worst ear infection. He has been having a fever for 2 days, not eating anything and really winny. They are going to send the referal in the mail and I wanted to know whos the operatrion and whatever you can share on the experience.TIA!

sweetyazfl

Asked by sweetyazfl at 11:41 AM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Surgery is fast, no need to worry. The only thing is when he wakes up, he will be groggy and grumpy. When we got home from the surgery he was a bit disoriented, kind of like dizzy. But he slept most of the day and after that everything was great! Been through 2 surgeries with him, no reason to worry, good luck!

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 11:45 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• No, I think the ear infections are far more painful than the surgery. They put them out completely and they never remember. My son is now seven and only knows because I have told him. All they need after the surgery is momma's love and lots of sleep. Don't worry, you will be ok! Promise.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 11:52 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My DS had tubes put in when he was just over a year. The surgery was SUPER fast and recovery was pretty easy. He was grumpy when he woke up and just slept a lot that day but after that he was great and he also started talking better shortly after. The doc said there was so much builup of junk that he was hearing muffled sounds. Better to get it done now, before your DS is talking. He will be so much happier!
    armyofmany

Answer by armyofmany at 11:56 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Thank you. I thought that he was going to be in dying pain or something. I'm a little scared.
    sweetyazfl

Comment by sweetyazfl (original poster) at 11:49 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Real quick surgery, like ten minutes. He woke up groggy from the anesthesia, but hey who doesn't. Mine also had his adnoids taken out which they may consider if he still has recurring infections. Just be careful not to allow too much water in the ears. they gave my son ear plugs for swimming and bathing. I'd also keep ears covered if they go outside during the winter months. But really there's not much to it.

2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 1:56 PM on Oct. 8, 2010