Are your beliefs your own?

Whether you are Christian, Muslim, Pagan, Atheist, etc, o you believe as you do because it's what's expected of you by your family or society, or because you genuinely have those beliefs? At what point (age I guess) did it feel like "This is it, this is the one?"

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 11:42 AM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Religious Debate

• My beliefs are my own, I read and interpret things for myself, I'm not much of a follower of man, people can be wrong. Everyone can mistake one thing for another, so how can you possibly expect one priest or whatever to know all the answers? You have to read and study your faith for yourself, and make it your own. I also don't see a problem in reading and studying different religions to find the one that reaches you and I did this myself when I was around 15 16 years old.
    Rhonda L.

Answer by Rhonda L. at 11:59 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I've had friends and family who have helped me. But ultimately I made the decision on my own. I was about 21 before I decided Wicca was right for me.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:52 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• my beliefs are my own. while im under the same heading as my family, my beliefs are far from theirs...we are on very different ends of the Christian spectrum. it was about 2-3 years ago that i started to feel that my faith was my own.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:57 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I CHOOSE to believe what I believe!
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 11:44 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I found support along the way, but deciding to give up believing in a god was definitely my own decision.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:48 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Yes. My mother is a Baptist, my stepfather is a Christian, my father is Catholic, and my Stepmother is Catholic. I am not. I'm not sure what I am, but I do know that I don't believe in their god or their bible.
    akyoungmommy

Answer by akyoungmommy at 11:48 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My beliefs are my own... After moving away from home, and being on my own (since I was 18) I don't let anyone tell me what to believe....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:49 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My beliefs are my own. My mom always encouraged each of us to explore all faiths, and even studied with many herself. She always said we would find what suited us!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 12:22 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I was raised in a Conservative Jewish household and I'm now an Orthodox Jew, so I guess I can say my beliefs are my own in the sense that I wasn't raised with them eventually was convinced they were the truth. But of course they're not my own as I didn't come up with them. :)

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 1:58 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I came to my beliefs on my own. I was raised as a Lutheran. I was baptised, attended Sunday School, Confirmation Classes, and was confirmed when I was thirteen. I always questioned what I was being taught, and was never satisfied with the answers I was given. As an adult, I fervently tried to become more religious. I went to church by myself, prayed, tried to forge a bond, but it just wasn't there. I just couldn't make myself believe. I investigated other religions, was friends with several pagans and explored that for a while. I really enjoyed it, but felt like I was play-acting. I realized, finally, that I am Agnostic. I don't believe that there is a god, but since it isn't within my abilities to prove that something doesn't exist, Agnosticism seems the best explanation for my beliefs. Perhaps Humanism is a better name for what I believe in, though.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 2:45 PM on Oct. 7, 2010