Has your child ever had to go to speech therapy?

I was informed today that my 21 month old is slightly behind in speech. She should be saying 50 words and she's only saying about 30. Thus I have to take her to speech therapy. I know she understands when you talk to her, it's just the words aren't all there. She did suffer a brain injury at 4 months so this may be a repercussion of that, although developmentally everything looks good with her. Just curious, what is speech therapy like? Are the classes like a set amount of weeks or does it go case by case? How do they help her differently then the kinds of things I am already doing at home, like reading to her and having her repeat words that I say and teaching her things myself? Thanks in advance for all responses.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 11:44 AM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We did speech therapy through our state's Early Intervention program (it may have a different name in your state but your pediatrician should be able to give you the contact information). They came to the house for each session. It was all done through play. My son loved when his teachers came because they always had a bag of toys with them! Depending on the nature of the problem the child has, there may also be some exercises done with them (i.e. trying to blow a feather off their hands, etc) It doesn't sound to me that your child is particularly far behind so have her evaluated before committing to therapy. Private therapy can be very expensive and often isn't covered by insurance. Number of classes, length of session, etc will vary depending on the setting and therapist.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 11:53 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• this is hard to say it does go by case by case, my daughter is almost two and she has 3 maybe four words if we are lucky, she also has done speech but the lady wasn't at athenas level
    Catanna

Answer by Catanna at 11:48 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• yes my sons went for several years
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 11:49 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My DD was evaluated and found to be behind when she was 3. We thought she might have a speech impediment like her grandmother because she couldn't say R words correctly. She outgrew it and we decided not to do the therapy. Basically what they were going to do was a structured play with the therapist.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:49 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My firends son has been in speech for a few years. He was not talking at all though. He says a few words now at almost 4. He sees the ST 3 times a week for an hour. My son has ST 2 times a month for social skills and sentence structure he is 6. It is diferent depending on each child's needs.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:53 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My youngest is in speech now through our school district. He has an IEP and goes once a week during the school year. He started last year and I would bring him once a week and the therapist would take him in her office and work with him then give us homework for the week. In a short time he started talking alot. I was working with him at home but ours had a way of getting him to do it. I go at the end of the month for his IEP to set it up for the next year.
    mommy2boys03

Answer by mommy2boys03 at 11:55 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Each child is different, and therapy programs can vary depending on where you go and how delayed the child is. My middle was in speech from 18 month thru the Birth to 3 program, and then from 3-6 he got speech thru the school system and had an IEP in place. My youngest is currently in speech thru the school system (with an IEP)- he started at age 2yr 9mo. He is currently 4 and attends a supported 4K program where they have speech included.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:59 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• my oldest started speech therapy at age 2 ...we lived in a community that had a preschool specializing in developmental issues and they sent a short bus to pick her up for 3 hours a day, 5 days a week.
    my son is almost 6 and can't say some sounds correctly, like he says "tyne" instead of "time" well I had the school district evaluate him and they said he is fine and his speech will mature in time.
    What you need to do as a parent is to not allow grunting and pointing as communication also do not give in unless they can say the correct word. Explain, well sound out the words she needs to say and have her repeat the word correctly. do not baby talk and just stay firm with using words correctly.
    when my son says" it's tyne to go" I have him say "it's time to go"
    learning to use words correctly is an ongoing thing. Even though you know your child wants their juicebox you have to make them say juicebox please
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 12:01 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My daughter had /has a Phonological Speech Disorder. Words that had the ''L'' word would get mixed up and would be spoken as ''W'' instead..... Somewhere between hearing the sound and her mind interesting it and her mouth speaking it - the sound would get all jumbled up. Speech therapist will evaluate your daughter decide what disorder she has - what sounds she is unable to make and why. The determine the best way to teach her - usually Thur games and Thur mirrors - look into a mirror while speaking. Watch the way my tongue moves and know copy my tongue. Then the S.T. will teach you the lessons so you can practice at home as well..... The number of days will depend on age and severity and probably insurance as well... Good Luck....

emily1230

Answer by emily1230 at 12:12 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My son did but, it was a waste of time and money.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 2:50 PM on Oct. 7, 2010