For those who went into labor naturally, when did you start to notice your contractions getting closer/harder - and how dilated were you when you got to the hospital?

And how far apart were your contractions when you realised you were in labor?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Mine hadn't started yet, but my water broke and I wasn't dilated yet.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:58 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I had my first contraction at 7am. By 4pm they were 5 min a part. I didn't leave for the hospital until 7:30 or so. Got there by 8 and was ONLY 3CM!! lol. I didn't even rush. I thought I would be at least 4 or 5 when I got there. I had been at 5 min a part for hours. It was all good though.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:03 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I started having contractions the night before (and I knew it meant it was coming, lol), went to my morning appointment (they were still about 2 hours apart) and was 1cm, they got closer together by about 8pm that night (they were a minute apart, or whatever it says they should be), so I went to the hospital and was 3cms. He was born at about 3:30 that morning. So contractions started Thursday night, and by Saturday morning he was born.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:05 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• With my first my contractions were 15 minutes apart, got to the hospital and I was dialated to 4 cm. Although I was already dialated to 4cm for about 3 weeks.... It took 13 hours after my water broke for him to get here... It's hard to remember it, he's 14 yrs old,lol....

Second I was also dialated to 4cm for about a month before birth. I had heart problems so at 37 weeks they took me in and broke my water. The rest was so painful and then 7 hours later I had him....

Third I went into labor at 6am in the morning at home, my contractions were about 10 min apart. I waited until 9am to go to the hospital, got there, got checked in, was dialated to 8cm, had him in 15 minutes...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:08 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• First contraction at 12PM, they were about 5 minutes apart and lasted for 2. They stayed the same, yet stronger until about 3..then, it was a contraction blur. I arrived to the doctors office at 2. I was almost a 5 when i got to the doctor. My son was born in 2 pushes at 7:01PM.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:13 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My water broke at the hospital, they didnt let me stay until I was at 4cm but I noticed my contractions early and decided to try to speed them up by walking around the hospital for 3 hours
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 12:14 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My contractions were 11-ish minutes apart regularly (and getting closer over the hours) for a while when I realized this just might be It.

I don't get my cervix checked, I follow the "intensity law." The contractions have to be consistently close together, and intense for a while for me to know it's Time to leave~~

Water breaking *can* happen with labor, or not, I definitely don't follow that suggestion as an indicator, either.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:07 PM on Oct. 7, 2010