This ticks me off (I'm not sure what category to put this in, but this one seems the best)

I am 18, have a 2 day old son, and am married. I chose to get married. I also chose to get pregnant. I got pregnant, before I got married. Why do people not believe that? Yeah, I'm young. But I'm happy. I am not living off the state. I am not abusive or neglectful towards my child. So what is wrong with me being a young wife and mother, and loving it? My sister has a huge problem with it, but so do complete strangers.

akyoungmommy

Asked by akyoungmommy at 12:04 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I got pregnant when I was 17 with my first daughter.. ♥ I had another daughter when I was 20..♥ I am having another daughter in December..♥ I am not married..but with the love of my life and we will be married someday..♥ My kids are clothed, fed, sheltered and loved.. ♥ I see no problem with your situation!♥
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:06 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Its not your problem. Screw em.

I guess you could always lie about your age to the total strangers just to shut THEM up anyways lol. Its like "What age should I be? XYZ? Okay then I'm XYZ." lol
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 12:07 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• some people just don't understand your life choices, blame it on society for assuming that every "teen mom" is a HS dropout, or living off welfare, or has a drug problem, or whatever... just be the best mom YOU can be and prove them wrong :)
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 12:07 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Well right now, you are hormonal, and letting things get to you. If you are happy with your decisions and confident in your place and ability as a parent, don't let others get to you. People will think what they want, you either learn to ignore it and live your life or you let it bother you....you'll be much happier with the first option.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 12:08 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Because everyone believes young mothers rather party it up ect ect ect. I was 18 when I got pregnant, 19 when I had my son. Lucky for me I never had to deal with the normal shit young mothers get. I mean I was told I looked 16, but when people started to talk to me, they thought I was older then 20.. =) They still seem to forget Im only 24.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 12:08 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Show your maturity by not reacting to it.... If you react to it by getting upset, etc, then they will always think you're too young to do anything... JMO.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:11 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• If you're happy that's great! On the other hand, if I would have done what you did, I would have missed out on a lot of experiences that shaped who I am today and the kind of mother I have become. I think that's what people might be taking issue with. At 18, a lot of people aren't ready to deal with the realities of life. They need to go off to college, be on their own, test the values they were brought up with and mature. Going straight to motherhood and family life leaves out a lot of room for personal growth.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 12:11 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• There's nothing wrong with it. I did the same thing and I'm only 19...People will bash it, which is why I don't talk about it with others. Hell, I know 30-year-olds who are unfit mothers. Age has nothing to do with it, it has to do with your maturity level. When it's the right time to become a mother, you'll know it. Everything has fallen into place for me and I'm happier now than ever before...
    Evansmommy91

Answer by Evansmommy91 at 12:12 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I get are weird stares when I'm out. And the usual "you don't look old enough to have those kids" I got pregnant at 16 and had him at 17. I'm married with 3 boys and one more on the way. I'm 23 now. I"m sure it sounds awful to a lot of people...but they don't understand me or the situation. No I didn't plan on getting pregnant with my first but me and my husband stuck it out and work hard for everything we have and to give our kids a happy life. Screw all the ignorant people who think that young mothers can't do a good job. F*ing sterotypes...
    PerfectLove910

Answer by PerfectLove910 at 12:13 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I got married at 17 right after highschool and had a baby at 18. I was able to be a stay at home mom, my husband was in the military, we werent on assistance. My family didnt approve either. I wouldnt let it bother you. My oldest is now a senior in highschool and turned out wonderful teen mom and all that she had.lol
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 12:13 PM on Oct. 7, 2010