Can you be JAILED for not saying the Pledge?

JACKSON, Miss. — A Mississippi state judge sent a lawyer to jail for several hours for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegiance in court, according to court records.

Chancery Judge Talmadge Littlejohn told people in his Tupelo courtroom Wednesday to stand up and say the pledge.

Oxford attorney Danny Lampley stood up. But he "failed and refused" to recite the pledge and was jailed for criminal contempt of court, according to the judge's order, obtained by The Associated Press.

Lampley, 49, was booked into the Lee County jail where he stayed for about five hours.

Littlejohn's order said: "Lampley shall purge himself of said criminal contempt by complying with the order of this Court by standing and reciting the Pledge of Allegiance in open court."

But the judge later ordered Lampley's release, saying he was scheduled to represent a client in the courtroom.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 12:18 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 12:19 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I guess so! Jeeze! A criminal act? Why wouldn't he say the Pledge of Allegiance though?
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 12:26 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Lampley told The Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal that he has a lot of respect for the judge but wasn't going to back down on this issue.

"I don't have to say it because I'm an American," Lampley told the newspaper, "I'm just not going to back off on this

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 12:30 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Alot of people won't say the pledge because it uses the phrase "under god". Just recite it people out of respect for your country.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 12:30 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Well if it were against the law I would have been in jail since the tender age of 5! I have not and will not say the pledge ever! I do not have to pledge my life my allegiance just because I live here!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 12:36 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Just recite it people out of respect for your country.

But why should people recite something they believe to be false? Pledging alligece to someone under a deity that you don't believe in?
    America is a free country, as long as you do what most americans want you to do?
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 12:38 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I'm not a big fan of pleading my allegianceto a flag.  I say it but it always feels weird.  I don't think it should be considered 'contempt' to not say the pledge.  He stood out of respect that should be enough.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:40 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• stupid Lawyer for showing respect for the court and the flag and the can put him jail.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:43 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• He was jailed for contempt of court. He was disrespectful to the judge when he refused to recite the pledge.

With that being said, I don't think he should have been jailed at all. Reciting the pledge should be a choice. If you're ordered to recite, it means nothing.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 12:46 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• He was disrespectful to the judge when he refused to recite the pledge.

If the judge told him to moo like a cow and he refuses, is that disrespectful? You cannot force someone to say the Pledge

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 12:48 PM on Oct. 7, 2010