How old should kids be to drink soda?

I wasn't allowed to have soda until I was 10. My aunt let my cousins drink it when they were 3 and she's a dental hygienist!

Shanna84

Asked by Shanna84 at 12:21 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• I say 10 would be the age I will let my children order a caffeine free soda when we are out. I will never buy it for home though. Mainly because I am not a big fan and only drink it when we are out. I have a 2 year old son who always wants a sip of what we are drinking no matter what he gets to drink so I always order root beer or sprite for myself so he can have a few sips.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 12:34 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I did not let my kids have soda, unless it was a special occasion. Then I insisted on decafinated pop. They are mostly grown now and still not big pop drinkers.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:30 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I allow my three year old to have soda when we eat out (non-caffine), but he usually chooses lemonade, juice, or chocolate milk. Personally, I feel those beverages have as much sugar as the soda, so I just limit the caffine.
    ruthie11617

Answer by ruthie11617 at 12:32 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I guess it depends on the person.. I rarely allow my daughters to have soda. They are 5 & 3.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:22 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I dunno. I have only allowed my DD(3 years) to drink soda a couple times and she didn't like it so hopefully she never will because it's disgusting. I used to drink soda all the time, but now I can't drink it as much otherwise I will start to feel sick and it makes it hard for me to sleep. The only time I drink soda, really, is with Pizza. lol
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 12:24 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I never buy it. But my kids tried it by 4. They have it maybe 1 x every 6 months.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:24 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I might let my kids try when they are around 4 or so, but I prefer not to. My MIL keeps trying to give it to my 21 month old daughter.....

Anyway, I'm not a fan of soda and we don't buy it.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 12:25 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My son got ahold of my cup in the living room and drank some of my soda. The look on his face was priceless. I can tell the carbonation freaked him out!!! But I give him diluted juice, water and milk only!! He'll be two soon...i dont see myself handing him a soda anytime in the near future!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 12:58 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Never IMO..Except my special occassions, like candy..In moderation and once in a while..
    Glitterandglitz

Answer by Glitterandglitz at 12:58 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I don't know. I want to wait as long as possible. My kids are 8 and 5 and have never had soda.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:17 PM on Oct. 7, 2010