Should I wake my 1 mth old twin girls together during the nighttime feeding or let them wake on their own and feed separately?

My 1 mth old twins are being fed every 3 hours during the day-formula. At night I let them wake on their own to feed. If one wakes up, should I automatically wake the other one?

kherz

Asked by kherz at 12:26 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• good question as i am expecting twins and was wondering this myself!!
    Sarah5708Emma

Answer by Sarah5708Emma at 12:27 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My MIL had twin girls.. she would wake the other one up if one woke up.. that way you can get them both fed at once & maybe sleep longer.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:28 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I never did with mine....when one would wake up, I would feed her, and then usually by the time she was done, the other one would wake up to be fed.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 12:29 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I think that's really up to you... It might be best as far as sleep goes to wake them at the same time but they ~are different people and just because one wants to be fed doesn't necessarily mean the other does as well... Much love to people who've got to wake up for two and do everything for two :)
    littlestar85257

Answer by littlestar85257 at 12:32 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I think it depends on their weight.If they are a healthy weight, the let them sleep.But if they are abit on the small side, I'd wake the other at the same time.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 12:43 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• i breast fed my twins. i did not wake one up if one woke. i never had any luck waking babies to feed them. lots of moms of twins have been successful always feeding both at once.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:32 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• You can try it and see if it works for you. I found with mine (breastfeeding and bottle feeding) that it didn't because my bigger baby was not ready to eat as soon as the smaller one, so it was frustrating for her to be awake and frustrating for me to try to feed her (she wouldn't latch on to nurse and she'd just let the milk run out of her mouth when we switched to bottles). By 3 months my bigger one was sleeping through the night and the smaller one was still getting up once or twice at night.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:27 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• If it were me i would feed at the same time because if not it will eventually catch up to you u will struggle to get them in sync but it will be easier on u in the long run .. is all it takes is a couple of feeding and they should be on the same timeline ! good luck ..
    kimmi85035

Answer by kimmi85035 at 12:42 AM on Oct. 8, 2010