breastfeeding and pot smoking

Is it ok?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ask the pediatrician
    Anonymous

• This is one of those things that you'll probably never get a straight yes or no answer on.... but it's much better to be safe than sorry.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 12:35 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• No. If you eat, drink, or breath it, so does your baby. PS, if you tell your doc, they may very well call CPS.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 12:35 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• LOL! Yea, ask the pediatrician.... I believe in most cases (unless you live in CA) that if your child were to test positive for pot that you would then lose your kid.... I think.... Well, when you breast feed, your kid gets everything you get... this includes pot, smoking, drinking etc etc etc.

So unless you want your kid stoned out of their mind, I'd probably refrain from it... But you can ask the pediatrician!
    littlestar85257

Answer by littlestar85257 at 12:36 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Gonna go out on a limb here and say heck no.
    ruthie11617

Answer by ruthie11617 at 12:36 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• – collapse
    i am a firm believer that it makes them smarter...... and truthfully last time i researched the latest studies are linking it with accelerated brain cell growth. i did not smoke while breastfeeding my middle one and she the only one that is on track or lower than. the other 2 are so brilliant. not that my middle isnt smart shes just not way ahead of the game. its safer any way you look at it than anything else you could do......drinking, smoking tobaco, or any other recreational drug.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 (hidden) + expand

• Really??? This is a question? Cigarette smoking while breastfeeding is bad. Smoking pot is not legal, so lets stick with the fact that whatever you drink, eat, smoke is going into the baby, should babies eat pot brownies?
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 12:39 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Alot of people have smart kids and they don't smoke pot. Saying that it makes them smarter is is the most ridiculous thing I have heard lately. You sound like a great mom!

Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 12:39 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• ANON-------i am a firm believer that it makes them smarter...... and truthfully last time i researched the latest studies are linking it with accelerated brain cell growth. i did not smoke while breastfeeding my middle one and she the only one that is on track or lower than. the other 2 are so brilliant. not that my middle isnt smart shes just not way ahead of the game. its safer any way you look at it than anything else you could do......drinking, smoking tobaco, or any other recreational drug.

Are you kidding me?!?! IMO, put your baby's health first, and quit thinking about yourself!!!!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:42 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• On a legal stance...no. (Since the herb is illegal most places & all.) I don't think that THC in breast milk is particularly harmful. (Obviously it can be safer than cigarettes, alcohol, street drugs, Rx or some OTC drugs.) And perhaps THC in breast milk may be better than formula. But that's just my opinion.

I'm curious as to what a pediatrician might say if the mother uses medicinal marijuana chooses to breastfeed.
    paige8608

Answer by paige8608 at 12:42 PM on Oct. 7, 2010