Know any "hicky looking" people?

A casting call for a Republican West Virginia campaign ad called for actors with a "'Hicky' Blue Collar look."

The ad "Stop Obama," produced for the National Republican Senatorial Committee, features three men in plain clothes and trucker hats sitting at a diner, complaining about President Obama and West Virginia Gov. Joe Manchin, the state's Democratic Senate candidate.

Manchin is locked in a tight race against Republican businessman John Raese. CBS News is calling the race a toss up.

According to material provided to CBS by a Democratic source, the ad was shot at the Oregon Diner in Philadelphia. A casting call for the ad reads, "We are going for a 'Hicky' Blue Collar look. These characters are from West Virginia so think coal miner/trucker looks."

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 12:37 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• oh yes! come to southern iowa
    Monica84

Answer by Monica84 at 12:37 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 12:39 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I am "hicky" looking. So is my father's side of the family. We are factory workers, coal miners, saw mill workers. My grandmother on my father's side was half Native American. My mother came from Sicily. Her mother was a peasant and her father was Italian (as opposed to sicilian) and came from a rich family.

That makes me a Sicilian Redneck Indian who comes from a rich family, too. Think I'd qualify?
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:42 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I have some next door, but they probably would not partake since they have a Feingold '10 sign on their lawn and an obvious Wisconsin accent. I'm being sarcastic.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:44 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• ya too many. We're barely outside the city limits, but suddenly its all "Hey Yall" and country this and livestock that and lawn mower races. Ugh...
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 12:47 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Yup.. My Husband went to college in Eastern Kentucky...... Plenty of Hicky people in Appalachia...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:50 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My maiden name is Hicks and my dad dresses like a lumber Jack...... enough said. LOL
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 12:52 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Not really, which is funny since i live in GA. But, I see red necks all the time in their trucks with their red neck flags. And sometimes, they'll be a friend of a friend who might be kind of red necky. I remember going to a 4th of July party down in Macon, GA. It was by a lake & a friend had invited us to join their family celebrations. It was the most red neck bunch i have ever seen! their English was horrible, they constantly talked bad about black people & how they're "pure white" and all that bull (meaning they have no reletives that are black, they were "pure"). It was one of the worste gatherings i have ever attended! Anyhow...Atlanta is pretty diverse. You have to go out a bit to see the red necks here in GA.

There are "hicks" in the mountains here though. They are different from the outer city rednecks. More like hillbillies i guess. I know how to act like a hick...lol, maybe i can pretend I'm a hick for the job.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:08 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Playing to the audience, I guess-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:35 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I'm in rural TN what do you think? lol..I guess I myself am a bit 'hicky' but I will never shake all of the yankee off.I have to say though there are hicks all over the country.I knew of some around D.C..Also being 'hicky' doesn't ness. mean stupid or racist.As seen above there are 'hicky' folks of all colors.

I got a key chain today that says 'I have PMS and a gun...got something to say?'
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 2:03 PM on Oct. 7, 2010