Please do not read into this, this is not about anything other then my daughter that has asperger's so no bashing,please..

my 23 yr old daughter has aspergers
works at a casino owned by a local group of native american's
I know nothing about them and feel they can be just as nice as everyone else and sometimes nicer..my husband feels they have grudges with the white locals
anyways.....my daughter gets a van ride to our town to the casino
the driver does not want to drive to our house and tells my daughter to walk to the gas station...2 miles away
I want to call the Human resources dept. at her work and complain and demand she gets picked up at home.
My husband says they won't and they might resent the request and be mean to her because of it.
My 23 yr old has zero social skills and is a janitor who works one on one with the supervisor, she should not have to walk 2 miles one way because of a lazy van driver.
Should I call HR and talk to them about their van driver and risk retaliation? or keep quiet and allow my dd to walk? btw it is cold out

togo90210

Asked by togo90210 at 12:48 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

• I would call and see if you can have them rearrange the route... Maybe the driver isn't aware? Maybe the driver needs a kick in the shins :-p I'd call, but that's me.
    littlestar85257

Answer by littlestar85257 at 12:50 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Call them, be very polite and explain the situation. Two miles is not a short trip on foot, it is by car.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 12:50 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Even if your daughter didn't have aspergers, a 23 yr old woman is not safe to walk that far by herself anyway.And add the handicapp, well that is worse.I agree with you.And if the casino treats her worse after you ask them to pick her up from home, that she doesn't need to work there anyway.You have to put your child safety first.not your husbands opinion.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 12:52 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I would call the HR department, but I would be nice about it. You may also want to look at simply driving her the two miles, that may be easiest all the way around.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 12:52 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• In your situation I would call HR. Your daughter is unable to speak for herself. Just say so in a "nice" way.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 12:50 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• well its her job and they dont have to offer a ride at all. are there any other resources you could use such as senior and disabled services?
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:50 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I'd make the call. It's not safe for any woman to be walking that far.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 12:54 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I know that when an illness or disability comes in to play there is a lot to be concerned about. as my family is about me when it come to doctor appoinments and work.. I would find out the rules of the work place first and than go from there in a nice way. or arrange a ride for her that is closer to her gettin home. I remember having to pick up a little boy in jacksonvill two miles from his house. He has aurtism I probly spell this wrong. I want to know why I could not pick him up in front of his house. i was told that he need to walk as it was part of his learning development. I never understood and would take him to the door each time. Yes i lost the route as i could not follow rules. his mother write and got my job back because she felt like I did what if some thing happen to him. even though he is twenty years old things happen to people with disabilites. Found out the rules and then appoarch the probelm.
    dorotheabrown37

Answer by dorotheabrown37 at 1:00 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I would call and simply state the situation and that you are calling on your daughter's behalf because of her limitations. Don't accuse or point fingers at anyone, just let them know you are calling to see if the situation might be changed now that the weather is changing, etc. Stress that you are glad to have your daughter working there and just want to see about working out the van schedule. Hopefully you can resolve it without stepping on anyone's toes. The driver might not be pleased as punch but I guess there's not much to do about that. Or go to the gas station and speak to the driver. Let them know that they can turn around in your driveway, or that you don't mind them driving over a certain area of grass or whatever to make turing around easier, but that your daughter does need to be picked up now that the weather is changing. You could try the driver first and see if you get anywhere.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:05 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I would call. They are already being mean to her by requiring this.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 2:17 PM on Oct. 7, 2010