I take care of my stepson half the week when his dad is at work and I always go out of my way to do things on thoses day that he will enjoy but he is alway mean to me and treats me really bad, I cant take it anymore I feel like giving up and just putting in daycare for the time that his dad is at work. I don't know what else to do. any advice?

My stepson is 6 years old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:22 PM on Oct. 25, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Shouldn't he be in school? Most 6 year olds are in 1st grade.
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 2:50 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• I agree with Lornamay, how come he isn't in school? But in answer to your question I would stop taking him out to do fun things if he is going to treat you badly, you are the parent in charge and he needs to be taught respect now or your going to have a lot of trouble when he gets older.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 3:20 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• He may be acting out because of feelings he has about his dad and mom not being together. I'm a stepmother, so I know that the kids can sometimes be pretty rotten to their stepparents, but I do think that sometimes it's because they don't know how to express their feelings any other way. I think his dad needs to talk to him about what is an acceptable way for him to treat you, and if he doesn't obey, he should have some form of consequences. Are there any kids in your neighborhood that are his age? Maybe you could invite someone over to play while he's with you, keep him busy and his mind on something besides torturing you!
    PamR

Answer by PamR at 3:30 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• If you are having this many problems with a 6 year old, he would probably be better off in day care if he's not in school. Playing "victim" to a kid that age is pretty weak though, sounds like you have some growing up to do yourself. Why would you have gotten involved with a man if you weren't willing to make a serious go of it with his kids? Sounds like you were thinking your needs would come before the kids? Act like an adult.
    Anonymous

• Anon at 4:09 - until you have a step family you'll never understand the tight-rope of this situation! I don't think she is playing victim at all. I think she is trying her damnedest and is frustrated. I think that she is being very adult-like by trying to keep the peace with her husbands child. Maybe you should open your ears and stop looking for someone to judge. She is trying and looking for support, not your self righteous judgment!!

evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 4:53 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Stop the fun activites. Put his rear end in school. Show him that being mean and nasty isn't going to get him fun, exciting things. Talk to his father as well. Maybe the father isn't spending enough time with him and he is taking out on you!
    nightwhispers76

Answer by nightwhispers76 at 11:36 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• He should definitely be in school and where is his mom? Talking to his dad is a good idea too. If he doesn't enforce that you are to be respected whether he is there or not then you are doing too much. Whether its daycare or school don't feel bad. For a 6 year old he is past due for some formal care. People hear so many bad things about daycares and forget about the benefits of structure, rules, constructive activities, and so on....
    brimarie8

Answer by brimarie8 at 12:03 AM on Oct. 27, 2008