IUD ladies fill me in ?????

My doctor recommends this kind of birth control I am suppose to go in next week and have it put in but Im kinda scared!
What can you tell me about it?

motherofpearl3

Asked by motherofpearl3 at 12:50 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Health

• Take some Advil before you go in. My Dr. told me i could take some if i was scared it was going to hurt. It did not hurt ONE BIT! I even said "Is it in yet?" and she said "yes, it's already in". But, i also have a high pain tolerance. The advil helped a bit too I'm sure. Anyhow, i have Mirena & i absolutely love it. I have heard many woman complain about it, but not me. I tried every birth control pill under the sun & most made me sick & they would also make me super bitchy & emotional. When i finally got off birth control, i was a total different woman! This thing saved my life. LOVE my IUD! I'm getting another one as soon as this one comes out. Oh yeah! I have practically no period anymore! Just a light pink discharge for like 2 days. LOVE IT!

The more children you have, the less it will hurt when they put it in. I have one child. It hurts much more if you've never birthed a baby because of the tight cervix.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:57 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I had a copper-tipped (non hormonal) put in about 4 years ago. The insertion was somewhat painful, and I had some cramping the first week. After that it was real simple. You just check the string once a month to make sure it's in the same spot.

I wore it for a year before deciding to have a baby. The removal was not as painful.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:59 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• There are different types of IUD?
    motherofpearl3

Comment by motherofpearl3 (original poster) at 12:59 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I, personally HATE it. Some people like it. I think it makes me moody, and i've gained weight (any b/c can do that though) I want it out, mine is due to come out next year I think? I would take it out sooner, but I can't afford another child-and i'm to much of a chicken.
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 1:00 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I have the mirena, and I'm still undecided whether I like it or not. I had non-stop spotting for 2 months, now it's like a 2 week on 2 week off thing. It's still not as bad as the heavy af's I was having after my babies.
    The insertion wasn't too bad, it hurt a little while it was being done, and I got light headed, but I felt fine immediately afterwards.
    sunshine82

Answer by sunshine82 at 1:04 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• i have peraguard in. it was painful for me bc i had it put in a month after i had my baby so i was still really sore. its supposed to last up to 10 yrs and all u have to do is check for the strings to make sure its in. i've had friends on it as well, and they all love it.
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 1:14 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I wouldnt recommend an IUD, too many people get infections from them and have to have them removed
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 11:38 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• if u dont want it dont get it.. i went through hell with my iud and it expelled just kno your other options and go with what u want .. dont let a dr pressure you
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 3:08 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I have the Paraguard, had it put in three years ago and I absolutely love it. Regulated my periods and keeps me baby free for at least another 7 years!
    Luisa621

Answer by Luisa621 at 2:08 PM on Oct. 8, 2010