Breast Feeding Question...

Is it possible to train your breasts to stop leaking so much...especially at night?
This is my third baby that I've breast fed.You'd think I'd have it down by now,lol. But no...theres always new questions.
With my last two, the leaking is what became so frustrating to me, and I'm at that point of frustration again. I can't stand waking up to my clothes and the sheets wet! Yes, I pad them well..it still leaks right on through.
Is there anything that I can do to slow this down? Its like I overproduce or something. Last baby...I pumped to try to get it to slow down..all that did was make me practically married to the pump 24-7.
I would like to bf a little longer this time..so finding an answer to this problem would really help my comfort level and I will want to do it longer and not feel like giving up.
Thanks! :)

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 12:52 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• keep with it because your breasts will eventually learn your routine and will only leak when its time to feed. it can take 4-6 months for this but for most it happens.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:54 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• yea, that is completely normal at 2 weeks, it will get better as your milk supply evens out
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:12 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I bf both of my kids. Around 6 weeks the leaking was less and by 4 months it stopped all together. I slept with just a bra and pads, then each time I got up to nurse I changed the pads. I also threw a towel under me so I did not have to change the sheets every day. Give it time and it will work itself out. It usually takes about 6 weeks to get the supply/demand down between you and baby. I nursed for WELL over a year with both of my kids and I have to say the first few months are definatly the hardest, but you can do it.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 1:18 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Your body will adjust. Right now you are over producing. Ditto to the towels and changing pads. Use cloth pads and you can double them up. Wool pads absorb the best, but I used organic cotton and they did great.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:51 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• It will get better. 2 weeks is the worst point I think. I remember going to sleep with a beach towel under my shirt.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:05 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I have been BF for almost 4 months now and I never leak
    motherofpearl3

Answer by motherofpearl3 at 12:53 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• how old is your child?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:53 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• For me routine was the key. Getting the baby to eat on a regular schedule and not pumping at odd times that would throw my body's schedule off.
    EBethG

Answer by EBethG at 1:01 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I was the same way with mine but it stops for me around 2 months.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 1:16 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• STOP PUMPING !!!!

Your body produces milk in demand, the more you demand, the more it will make. It will be wobbly for a while, but you shouldn't leak that badly.

Pumping removes milk because it stimulates your body to produce more, it's basically a fake baby mouth. Your body thinks that#s how much the child needs, so it will make that much.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 1:17 PM on Oct. 7, 2010