Aspergers...

What is it? To be completely honest, I'm not even sure what Autism is (well fully aware) .

If you have a child with it, how does it effect your everyday life? What do you have to to different ?

:/

Chell.o_0

Asked by Chell.o_0 at 12:53 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Health

• Let me commend you for asking! Not many people do that.

Aspergers is part of the autism spectrum, although sometimes I wish they were considered separate. My son has classic autism. He's nonverbal, has social issues and likes his routine a lot! Someone with aspergers tends to be verbal, but social skills may be limited. Sometimes they may be almost obsessed with a particular subject, like baseball. Not always. In either case there can be a lack of eye contact, particularly with those they don't know or are not comfortable with.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 1:02 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Aspergers is part of the Autism Spectrum Disorder- it is a form of high functioning autism. My son has Aspergers (as well as some sensory issues). Sometimes I need to break down things for him or be very specific- as he can get overwhelmed by 'the big picture' of it all. He likes routine and order and things just so. He has a hard time with being social and with making friends. He also does not understand sarcasm or figures of speech- he takes everything literally. Like I was correcting his brother and told him to "mind your own business" and he comes back with "but I don't even have a job". He does have obsession objects that he focuses on--currently it is xbox 360.
    One thing to remember about Autism is it is not a 'cookie cutter disorder' where everyone is the same, it is unique and individual. So what my child does yours may/may not do.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:25 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• The best way I have ever heard it describes was a social Dyslexia. My son is 6 and has no idea how to ask another child to play a game. Doesn't know what to do at the playground and will walk in circles doing nothing if there are to many kids there. He will talk you ear off about space and robots but never let you have any input. His conversations aren't give and take. He also has other 'quirks' he has defiant and anxious tendencies. He doesn't understand jokes. ... every child with Autism or Asperger's are different. I love the saying. 'If you have met one child on the spectrum; you have met ONE child on the spectrum.'
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:22 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• The biggest way it effects out daily lives is he is behind in social skills so I have to do a lot of translating or prompting to get him started playing with another child. he has a social skills class 2 times a month He is in Occupational therapy because his hand writing (motor skills) are poor. You have to explain things in a certain way for him to understand. If he is unclear he doesn't ask he assumes and will at times 'freak out' or have a major melt-down and you have to figure out what he heard you say in his mind. WE are learning and so is he. If you have nay other questions PM me but I will check back here later today as well.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:25 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• From what I understand (and I'm no expert either), Aspergers is a high functioning form of autism...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:00 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• See, I've tried to read about it-I just don't understand it though. I need it dumbed down. haha.

I feel like I should know more about it, and I just don't. :/
    Chell.o_0

Comment by Chell.o_0 (original poster) at 1:02 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Well, my son has PDD-NOS which is also a disoder on the Autism Spectrum. PDD-NOS stands for Pervasive Developmental Disorder- Not Otherwise Specified. For us, it means that Alex doesn't talk much, he has problems dealing with social situations, and he also has sensory integration issues. As far as sensory, he could be annoyed by a sound that most other people wouldn't notice (like the buzz of a fly on a flystrip).He is very strict on his schedule. He also has poor impulse control, which means if he wants to do something he will do it (unless we can physically redirect him). So, we have alot of meltdowns, but we are learning how to cut them back, just as he is learning how to deal with things himself.
    The best thing I can say is no two people with any of these disorders are the same.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 8:47 PM on Oct. 7, 2010