Re-using gallon jugs for water?

I have heard that it is unsafe to use the plastic water bottles over and over again. Does anyone know if the same stuff is in the gallon size jug like the milk comes in?

mandapanda942

Asked by mandapanda942 at 1:01 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Health

• I've heard that too, I would think it's the same situation?
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 1:06 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• i've never heard that.. but where im staying now we re-use plastic jugs over and over..
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 1:06 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I've never heard that either... I use the same water bottle to bring to work every day!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:12 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I don't do it now. But, I have in the past. Regardless of how clean your city claims your water may be, it is not COMPLETELY pure. If you don't believe me, just fill a clear water bottle with tap water & place it on the window sill. It WILL grow algae & other things. This can build up in your jugs over time. So, to use your jugs over and over, just swish them out with some bleach water and rinse well afterwards. This will help cut down the bacterial, microbial and any other kind of growth build-up in the jugs.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 1:20 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I have been reusing plastic bottles for yrs. None of my children were born will gills Or anything. I wash them out when they get too gross. Put a little rice in the bottom and soap water and shake, it will scrub all the stuff out of the bottom and sides of the bottle rinse n reuse.
    stepho345

Answer by stepho345 at 1:20 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I would think it would be the same, if you want cold water just put some in a pitcher it works just as good.
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 11:36 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I would think it would be the same situation. I believe the problem is all the bacteria in the plastic...
    Luisa621

Answer by Luisa621 at 2:05 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Im actually looking to keep water at room temperature to prepare bottles for the baby. I was buying the water from the store, but I have a filter on my tap and thought about just refilling the jug to save money.
    mandapanda942

Comment by mandapanda942 (original poster) at 2:26 PM on Oct. 8, 2010