What are quick and easy healthy snacks?

OK, so I always take time to make food and snacks for my little one...but what are quick snacks or ways to have things prepared for me? Any thoughts of things that are easy but also yummy? I need to stop reaching for the prepackaged unhealthy snacks just because I'm busy!!

babyjakesmama

Asked by babyjakesmama at 2:27 PM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Food & Drink

• I recently discovered how amazing sliced apples and plain nonfat yogurt are. The yogurt has a slightly salty flavor that pairs wonderfully with the sweet apples. I ate a whole apple and some yogurt and it filled me up, much more than just an apple by itself would have xD Also, apples and peanut butter are good.

Also, carrot sticks or baby carrots with low-fat ranch dressing are really good, I could eat those forever lol.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:30 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Grapes and carrotts!!
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 2:49 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Go to Trader Joe's! I keep mini-bags of raw, unsalted almonds on hand, and they have super low calorie fruit-snack sort of bars that are pure fruit...helps satisfy a sweet tooth. Clementines are a great option because they're easy to peel and don't make a mess like regular oranges...and they're sooo good and refreshing. Watch out for yogurt, as most of it has a LOT of sugar in it. Bananas can go anywhere and are so good for you, no prep needed. Watch labels because even the "healthy" prepackaged stuff usually contains more sodium than calories, and that's always a no-no. I love Special K protein water...it really does work between meals, though I'm looking for an alternative now (it contains milk-based ingredients and I'm pursuing a vegan lifestyle). The pink lemonade variety tastes sooo good :)
    MrsGurt

Answer by MrsGurt at 3:04 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• I keep fruit on hand at all times. I love oranges and grapefruit, apples, pineapple, watermelon, all types of berries. Because I'm diabetic, I can't have bananas, but they are nutritious and come in their own case :)
    I also keep veggies in my fridge, ready to go. Carrots, cucumbers, celery, broccoli, cauliflower. And homemade ranch.
    Nuts are also good, particularly almonds. Roasted almonds to eat out of hand, and raw almonds to make almond milk. Run 1 cup of almonds and 1 c of water through the blender and refrigerate 24 hours, then strain through cheesecloth. The almond milk is good alone, but even better when you add frozen berries and blend until smooth...tastes like a delicious strawberry shake, but way better for you.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 4:34 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• I love fruits and veggies. So easy, healthy, and good!
    A bowl of healthy cereal.... Special K makes some really good varieties.
    Cheese and crackers. I like to put a mild pepper ring on them. Actually, I craved that with all my pregnancies.
    When I feel really weak, I'll get 3 Oreos and a glass of milk. Satisfies the sugar/chocolate craving without going overboard.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 9:57 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Grapes already washed and in a bowl in the fridge keep nicely.Can be put in small portions for quick snacking.
    tootsieyeatts

Answer by tootsieyeatts at 10:48 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• I usually have similar snacks to what my toddler is eating, we usually eat 3 meals and 2-3 snacks every day, about every 2 hours so it helps my diet plan as well keeping her growing self satisfied!
    Apples & peanut butter are a favorite
    cheese stick or slice of cheese & fruit
    cottage cheese topped with fruit or with diced tomato and/or avocado
    fruit w/plain nonfat yogurt (whip it honey if you like, I do)
    crackers & peanut butter
    cheese & crackers
    cereal
    slimfast or protein shake plus a piece of fruit, if you have a minute make it into a smoothie with frozen berries YUM
    MRiverson

Answer by MRiverson at 3:41 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• buy a pound of raisins, a pound of unsalted peanuts, mix in a giant ziploc back, or a plastic canister that way you have it on hand.. also, check the foodnetwork.com sandra lee has great easy snacks, or Robin Miller..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 12:09 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Granola yogart and frozen fruit.... go buy some healthy granola cearel low fat yogart and frozen or fresh fruit i like frozen cuz it has that coldness to it. its crunchy and sweet and all togetehr just good...
    MomGoneCrazyX2

Answer by MomGoneCrazyX2 at 1:11 PM on Nov. 13, 2008