at what age do they kick you out of the bathroom?

my oldest will be 4 next wednesday :-) but she has been referred to as a "free spirit" because she does not care who sees her naked. not that she goes streaking outside or anything, but say i have friends over (male or female) and i tell her to go put her jammies on, she will start stripping down right there and of course then i take her to her room to change. my friend's daughter, on the other hand, will also be 4 on tuesday and she's very shy about it. she will undress in front of me like when she spends the night or whatever, but not in front of a man other than my friend's husband or the little girl's bio-dad. just curious, what is the age when they start getting modest about this, even toward us mommies?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 1:04 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• My DD was the same way. I think at the age of 6 is when she started to care more about being naked. She just started closing the bathroom door at 7 (she is 8 now). She did not have a care in the world who saw her pee...lol. Now, all that is changing though. She is growing too fast.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:20 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• mine started the summer she turned 5. but that was also the time she stopped needing help wiping her bottom completely. honestly i think it depends on the kid.
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 1:08 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• - have all boys and I have noticed about 5 or 6.
    stepho345

Answer by stepho345 at 1:08 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My DD is 5 and just started this
    maddisont05

Answer by maddisont05 at 1:11 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My son was like 2. He didn't want me to see him really. He for sure would change in front of anyone else.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:15 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My son at 5 is just starting to close the bathroom door. My older son was 8 or 9.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:17 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My son started it as he started to dress his self.(2) Now at five there are still times he'll go running through the house naked, but he keeps his stuff covered with his hands & hides around things.... I think it all depends on the child.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 1:18 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I have 3 sons and a husband. Since I am the only female in the house, my sons never thought it was weird to run around naked in my house in front of anyone until they were about 6. That is when they began noticing differences between male and female. I believe that if your child is comfortable with the family then they are open with other people. I would not worry about it.
    Bagofwind

Answer by Bagofwind at 1:26 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My youngest is 3, he hates me in the bathroom with him... My 4yo on the other hand would prefer I sit there with him... So I would say it varies from child to child...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:36 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Hmmm - I must be out of the norm.
    My oldest is 16 and has never had a problem with me being in the bathroom except when he's doing his business. He'll walk right in when I'm putting on making and pee, or jump in the shower. He doesn't stand around naked or anything but really isn't shy or modest and never has been.
    My youngest is 12 and since about 7 I would say he told me to get out when he has to use the bathroom or shower. He is modest and doesn't like people to see without clothes at all.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:33 PM on Oct. 7, 2010