Freedom of Religion? Freedom of Speech? OR Family Privacy?

Okay, at this point we have all seen the news stories and know what's going on with the WBC and the Supreme Court...

So where do you stand? What's your take?

Should the Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Religion of this (or similar or even non-similar) group be limited because of their own actions? Should the Families Right to Privacy trump?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 1:07 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think that they shouldn't have done what they did. The WBC put this on themselves.. nobody asked them to go to the marines funeral and show their asses. It is a big sign of disrespect. I hope the father win and that the old stupid WBC gets punished for what they have been getting away with.

Every father has a right to bury his military son in peace...
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 1:11 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I think that these people are awful, I hate that they do this, but I can not say that I think there freedom of speech should be terminated. Even crazies have the right to speak there mind, and in a public place they have the right to be there. Its stinks, but you cant say that someone can have free speech while taking away someone else's.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 1:12 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I see both sides to this argument, and honestly, hate to say it, but I think they have the right to do what they are doing and say what they are saying... I find their actions, beliefs and words to be completely nauseating... I hate the fact that this group uses a guise of religion to hide behind all the while spreading ignorance driven hatred, bigotry and intolerance... BUT, the beauty of this country, is the fact that they have the right to say whatever they choose - as we all do - even if no one likes it. It literally turns my stomach that ANYONE would choose to do these things, but I can't allow myself to use those feelings to take away someone elses rights.

While I do find their actions at military funerals to be disrespectful, I also feel that removing someone's rights - the rights that our military is dying to preserve - is just as disrespectful to what those members of our military stand for...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 1:14 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I think that family privacy trumps in this case. Nobody is denying this groups rights to speech or religion by denying them access to someone's funeral. They are cruel people doing the work of the devil, in my opinion.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 1:15 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I see no problem with just sending WBC over to afghan and see how much they like it... JS
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 1:19 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I agree with you ajc88 100%
    I think that they shouldn't have done what they did. The WBC put this on themselves.. nobody asked them to go to the marines funeral and show their asses. It is a big sign of disrespect. I hope the father win and that the old stupid WBC gets punished for what they have been getting away with.
    I also feel a family privacy trumps in this case. Nobody is denying this groups rights to speech or religion by denying them access to someone's funeral. It was heartless and cruel imo..
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 1:23 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• They should have their freedom of speech and their freedom of religion, but the family's right to privacy and to bury their son in peace should be respected. I hope the family wins in this case. They should not be allowed anywhere near the funeral.
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 1:29 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• No No... Please don't anyone think I think they should be in the cemetery... Frankly I think they SHOULD go home. But I feel if they are limiting their protests to outside the cemetery, or public property outside of the Funeral area... I think making them stop would be wrong... Simply make them move - take it outside the cemetery or across the street... No way should they be standing next to the grave or anything, but to make them stop all together would limit their rights, which I see as just as wrong...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 1:29 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• The family's right to privacy should be respected. I am wholly against curbing freedom of speech and/or religion with anyone unless someone is getting harmed. In this case, the mourners are being upset. It galls me this group even calls itself a church, but as such they should respect the family if not the dead. If they wish to continue their rants, they should do it a respectful distance away, at least half a mile away. Their point gets across and the family gets its privacy.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 1:53 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• They need to stop using the man's name on their website. If it isn't covered in liable laws it must be covered under harassment or perhaps should be covered under cyber bullying. 

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 1:54 PM on Oct. 7, 2010