How did you take the bottle away?

The same old question LOL But my son is 1 today. I have a 2yr old also who still takes the bottle to bed, tried taking it away 2x now....not even getting into it. But once they are completely on milk do you then do it, do you hold them while they drink their cup just like I do with the bottle then lay him in his crib? Kind of looking for other's way they did this. The baby will be the easy one, it's the older one who will have a hard time.

2BlondeBabies

Asked by 2BlondeBabies at 1:42 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• I waited until they were ready. At a certain point I only gave them bottles when they asked for it. They gradually stopped asking as they got older. It drove my doctor and other people crazy for some reason unknown to me, but I just ignored them.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 2:33 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My son was 3. He still took a bottle to bed with water. He needed it, I couldn't even begin to imagine how to stop it. Then one day he told me "bottles are for babies mommy!" And he threw it away. He was 3 1/2. I was glad I waited until he was ready.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:45 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I just slowly weened him off of it, until he was comfortable enough with a sippy cup.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 1:45 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I just took it away and replaced it with sippy cups. DD takes a sippy cup of water to bed instead of a bottle with milk. She transitioned just fine :) Good luck!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 1:46 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Mine never took a bottle or sippy to bed. At 6 or 7 months, I gave him a sippy of formula in place of a bottle. When he was proficient at it, I replaced more and more until he was off at 11 months. He had sippy from then on. No issues.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:51 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I just take the bottles away, and only offer sippys. The longer the child gets to keep the bottle, the more issues there will be when trying to take it away.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 1:58 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My son ended up losing a tooth due to bottle mouth because I was a complete wuss and wouldn't stop the nighttime bottle. Try to do it sooner rather than later.
    MeggieSwan

Answer by MeggieSwan at 2:53 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I replaced the bottle with a sippy at 6 months. By 8 months he no longer took the bottle. We never allowed him to go to bed with a bottle or sippy. Man that kid has perfect teeth his dentist told me last week. Pacifier was gone by 10 months. :) Good luck!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 3:06 PM on Oct. 7, 2010