Jesus was a perfect man why did he need to be baptized?

dgall3

Asked by dgall3 at 1:57 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It was the start of His ministry and His fulfillment of the law and covenant between God and man. He also did it to show us the way.

BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 5:17 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I think because he was human... and because he was setting an example :)
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 1:59 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Jesus had to be baptised by his cousin John. John said to Jesus ,..."you should be baptising me!" but Jesus knew that he had to show John the way he wanted all people to follow his word that the father gave him, since it was a gift of God to receive the Holy Spirit from him, and it was a gift worth having, Jesus asked John to baptise him with the Holy Spirit as being a part of him, and his act of baptism was a witness that John physically did to get the scripture to be written. This way (on reading it) ... NO ONE could say that the spirit descending upon his body like a dove was some mistake. I was by the father's permission to his only son, as a direct likeness/ spirit of GOD himself. So it stands to be read, and heard. We aren't always going to agree that the 3 are 1, since they are distinct in 3 ways, but they share the same powers.
    Anonymous

• jesus was a prophet, setting an example
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 2:05 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Jesus wasn't perfect. Jesus was without sin. Very different meanings. Why was he baptised? Good question. It's possible that was a public announcement of the coming of the kingdom. It is possible that he was humbling himself and setting an example for us.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 2:06 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• It also refers to the one scripture as he was disappearing within the huge crowd in the city, "he said....""if you knew who I was you would know that you see the father, when you see me. ""
    Anonymous

• Also when Mary saw Elizabeth with her pregnancy of John being in the womb, John the infant to be, was inside her jumping as soon as Mary came to see her , so he was joyful about the baby Jesus and not yet even born from Elizabeth's body.
    Anonymous

• My view... And just so it's known. I am not a Christian. So my view can be taken with a grain of salt . :-)

Jesus was a man. Therefore, he was not perfect.. He was a prophet of God. But not perfect. He sought baptism not only to cleanse and prove himself. But it was also part of his guidance and teaching.. He taught by example. If one is viewed by others as a leader, of any sort, that leader should always lead by example. The Christ did his best to do just that. Lead and teach by example.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:18 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• He was baptized to fulfill the law of God.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 3:10 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• In our religion baptism is nothing more than showing to everyone in a visual way that you are following Christ. It DOES nothing. And he was also showing us how to live and what to do...as an example.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:13 PM on Oct. 7, 2010