cervidil

has any body used this and how effective, how quick, side effects,
not far enough along for pitocin, and dont wanna take cytotec

rachel66

Asked by rachel66 at 2:14 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had it with my first induction at 38 weeks. It gave me great contractions, but nothing else. It wasn't until we gave up on it and used pitocin that I made any progress. When I had my second induction, we went straight to pitocin even though I was only 36 weeks.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:16 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Yes, they used this on me and then pitocin.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 2:21 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I had it with my first. It was 40 weeks on my due date. My dr told me since I wasn't dialated yet and they wanted me delivered because of my hipes and chances of a big baby they were going to put me on this. But the day I got to the hospital I was dialted to a 1 so they decided they were gonig to just to the patocin, but the cord was pinched for 5 hours so they didn't do that they decided to go with the cervidel they told me would take about 11 hours then tehy would do the patocin (not sure why they did or due both) anyway within like 3 or 4 hours my water broke so I didn't have the patocin. So I say it was effective for me lol. Like I said it took me only 4 hours, but they told me it would take 11 hours then they would put me on patocin. I didn't have any side effects from it. I think they will put you on patocin with the cervidel not sure though, but I found no problems with it.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 2:37 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I didn't but my sister did. It didn't work. She had contractions while it was in, but as soon as it was taken out they stopped immeadiately. It seems to me to be one of those things that works only if you are pretty much ready anyway. I was induced with prostglandin gel which worked perfectly for me - but I was 9 days over due already. I would never use cytotec, far too many risks.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 3:47 PM on Oct. 7, 2010