abortion is murder?

I know a lot of people view abortion as murder. Maybe it's just me, but I don't necessarily see it that way; let me explain why. Yes I know the embryo has a heartbeat but that doesn't mean that it's brain is developed enough to understand what is going on, so it doesn't realize that it's being "killed," or even that anything is wrong or hindering it's growth. The reason I don't see it as "murder" is because it hasn't experienced life yet, it knows no difference between life and death. I understand that you are terminating what COULD become a living, conscious being and I guess maybe that's the part people get so upset about?
I know people will argue that I don't know whether a 10-week-old embryo has conscious awareness, but common sense & science tells me it hasn't developed that stage cognitive ability yet...I'm just curious as to what everyone's opinion is?

Also, Pro-choicers, I'm interested to know why you are pro-choice?

Evansmommy91

Asked by Evansmommy91 at 2:37 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&rlz=&=&q=abortion&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1019&bih=577

Click that link & tell me that doesn't look like murder to you!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:38 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Depends on what you classify as "alive" to me, when it has a heartbeat it is alive, and most women dont even know they are pregnant by the time the heart is beating.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:40 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• You don't have to have a brain or experience "life" to have a soul. Not bashing you but that is why I am against it.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 2:40 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I'm firmly pro-choice, and I absolutely agree with you. For me, especially at this stage in my life, I wouldn't consider abortion (nor have I ever had to), unless it was because of health reasons. However, I don't feel I have the right to make that decision for other women. I don' t know their circumstances or their reasons, so who am I to tell them what to do?
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:40 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• IMO~ Abortion is knowing making the choice to end the development of a young life. If people can live with the decision to end the development of a life after they made the choice to engage in the activity that creates a life (with the exception of the parameters of the Hyde Amendment)~ That is on them and a higher power to judge.. Their own body... Their own choice...Their own responsibility... Their own funding...  To each their OWN... 

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:43 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Recently a doctor that preforms abortions even admitted that it is 'killing' a life.I'll find the video of him saying so..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 2:44 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 2:45 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• QUOTE: doesn't mean that it's brain is developed enough to understand what is going on, so it doesn't realize that it's being "killed," or even that anything is wrong or hindering it's growth. The reason I don't see it as "murder" is because it hasn't experienced life yet, it knows no difference between life and death.
    There are people with serious brain damage that fit this. So would you also not have a problem with ending their life?
    My problem is when we start defining what life is, how much intelligence does the human have to have, how much of a beating heart, how much 'awareness?' If we start defining how human someone has to be to truly be human - well then that definition WILL change. Maybe one day people will decide you aren't human enough.
    A human is a human from the moment it is conceived. It has life from the beginning. To play with the defining moment is dangerous. You give 10 weeks someone else says 3 years
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 2:50 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• So killing an emotionally stunted adult wouldn't be murder? Killing a person in their sleep isn't murder? As long as they don't "realize" that they're being killed, it's not murder?

Look, I'm not trying to be harsh or rude or anything like that...just raising some questions. I am a very open-minded person and I look at things from every angle. Abortion is one thing I still can't get past though. To me, it's a life. I'm not saying people should be locked up and charged with murder - of course not - I'm just saying that I think people should go into it realizing that they *are* taking away a human being's chance at life. I'm not going to tell anyone how to make their own decisions, but to ME, I could not do it.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 2:50 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• well then...shouldnt mothers who "murder" go to prison?

i dont see anybody that had an abortion go to prison.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 2:50 PM on Oct. 7, 2010