HELP!!! Do any of you know if there are other ways to treat or help wiht anxiety/depression?

I have NO health insurance and I have no money to go to the Dr. is there anything I can do or take without paying a ton to go to the Dr. I know I need to but i have to save up the money first to go to the Dr.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Health

• Read this book: The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle. This book basically stopped my depression and anxiety immediately. It may work for you too. It's all about focusing your attention on the present moment and preventing yourself from being anxious about the future or dwelling on the past, which are the main things that lead to depression/anxiety in the first place.

Other than that, I would suggest making sure you are getting plenty of omega fatty acids in your diet. Lack of these can lead to depression and other mental issues. St John's Wort is also helpful for some people. Exercise helps as well.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 3:13 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Until you can go to the doctor: Get up every morning and go for a walk in the morning sun for half an hour. Get as much fresh air and sunshine as possible. Cut all sugar and white flour from your diet and eat no fake food. Eat meat and fresh vegetables, Oatmeal and brown rice and Ezikiel bread (frozen health food section of grocery. It's good toasted) Use Olive oil and wine vineagar in salads. Don't let your self get too hungry, too tired, or too bored. When you are feeling anxiety, go for a walk, or do some yoga stuff at home. (look up instruction on youtube) Every time you have an anxious thought tell yourself NO and move onto a better thought. It is hard. Make no mistake about it because you will have to force yourself to do this even if you don't want to (and you won;t). Surround yourself with positive people, and stay away from negative people for a while....take up meditation (look at youtube or google )
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 3:00 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• County health department?
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 2:48 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• eat right and try working out! i know its hard but it helps my hubby we walk every night before bed it helps him relax so he can sleep he has had depression for years now and he is just starting to get better with the help of meds and a therapist and we have changed our eating habits and we walk now! it helps. good luck!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 2:49 PM on Oct. 7, 2010