Job application assessments, Why are they so ridiculous?

I just applied online for a part time job at Petsmart and it took a stinking hour. They ask like 150 questions at least, each question is asked 3 times in 3 different ways. Why try to trick people? On one page alone it asked these 4 questions:

Do you have any ownership in the company? Do you or a family relative have ownership in the company? Are you a sibling of someone who has ownership in the company? Are you the son or daughter of someone who has ownership of the company? It also asked these questions: Are you under the age of 40, if so please list DOB. The next page asked, please list date of birth, next page: Are you under 25, please list DOB. On the last page, it asked if I was over 18 and again, to list my DOB. Why try to be so creepy about my date of birth? I mean, clearly I did age a little while taking this assessment, but really? I feel like I just applied for the CIA.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Just for Fun

• The asking your age thing is against the law. They can ask if you're over 18 or 21 if the job entails someting that requires you to be that age,but otherwise its illegal FYI

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:36 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• hope you get the job! :)
    Mrs.Bryant1201

Answer by Mrs.Bryant1201 at 3:39 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• yep, 100% illegal to ask your age!
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:39 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Good to know! I guess they committed quite a few crimes there since they asked so many times. After filling out the application, I'm not even sure I would want to work there. The corporation seems a little too sneaky for me.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:42 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Maybe it is their way of determining how badly you want the job or what type of an employee you might be. If you are dedicated enough to spend an hour filling out the job application you would most likely be dedicated enough to show up for work everyday. On the other hand, if you can't stay on task for an hour to complete the application, would you actually spend three hours unloading boxes and stocking shelves?

However, I will agree with previous posters that I thought it was illegal to ask you actual age.

Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 3:56 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• By law, they can only ask if you are between 18 and 65, unless you have to be over 21 to do the job.
    Bagofwind

Answer by Bagofwind at 6:21 PM on Oct. 7, 2010