Would you let a robot operate on you?

Honestbest

Asked by Honestbest at 3:30 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Depends on the technology. I mean, I have had blade-less LASIK, where the doctor programmed the machines and the machines actually made all the cuts and contouring of my eye. The only time the doctor actually touched my eye was to pull up the cornea and put it back down.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:36 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• No. There are so many variables, I can't imagine technology advanced enough to be able to "think" like an actual doctor.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:31 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Yes,very Star Wars-ish!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:34 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• nope
    Mrs.Bryant1201

Answer by Mrs.Bryant1201 at 3:36 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Do you mean a robot, robot, like on I-Robot or like the ones that are already out there, the maneuver in smaller spaces so there is less trauma to the patient?
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 3:37 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

Yes they are already using this sophisticated machines nowadays. I don't think that they look like the ones in the movie.
    Honestbest

Comment by Honestbest (original poster) at 3:40 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• The reason I opted for blade-less LASIK is that the machine makes more precise cuts with pressurized gas bubbles than a human hand with a blade ever could. I think technology like this is a wonderful thing and gives the patients a much better outcome and faster recovery.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:45 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Yes I would let one operate on me. Machines make mistakes due to human error so you would be trusting the doctor no matter what. If that makes sense.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 3:46 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Thank you ladies for replying to my post. I like all the posts but I have to pick one for best answer just to follow cafemom protocol. LOL
    Honestbest

Comment by Honestbest (original poster) at 4:03 PM on Oct. 7, 2010