What to do with my 2 year old who is trying to eliminate naps.?

My dd is 2 and the last like 2 weeks she has not been taking naps I lay her down and everything like always but the second I close the door she gets up and starts to scream and kicking the door and just totaly haveing a fit...I know it is normal but it hurts my heart. I eventully give in but I feel like if I don't make her listen and take her naps then she will never get back on it again.....and everyone and I do mean EVERYONE I know tell me all the time that she is only doing it because she knows I will let her out but even if I don't let her out in the 5 min...give or take she still crys and kicks and everything....I tried to keep her in there for 45 min and she had a fit the entire time....I am at a loss here I need some help so please tell me I am not alone....if you have been through this what did you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:55 PM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe try to change her nap time?
    Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 2:59 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Do like supernanny and just keep silently putting her back to her bed. She'll tire herself out and after a few days or so she'll get it. I wouldnt worry to much though. Just put her to bed a lot earlier on those days GL
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 3:00 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Maybe she is just not tired?! Some kids dont need naps anymore, because of the simple fact that they are not tired.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 3:00 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Sounds like she's outgrown naps. Leave the door open, tell her she does not have to sleep but she must stay quietly in her room.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:15 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Erm... gdiamante .. why has the child stay in the room quietly? ... ("must stay quietly in her room")
    I dont understand why that should happen. If that girl isnt tired, then the mother has to deal with it and play with her or whatever else they feel like doing.

If my child grows out of the naps, then it simply means she is not tired so why do i have to leave her in the room and especially quietly?!

Sorry for saying it, but thats bullshit :)

My daughter is about to grow out of the naps too. I lay her down, leave her in the bed for about 10min. if she doesnt sleep (starts to play, talk, asking for me or whatever) well then i take her out of the bed and we play or go for a walk. :)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 3:40 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Some kids don't need naps. Just cut that part out of your day, and let her play.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 5:43 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• My children stopped taking naps when they were two. I told them that they didn't have to take a nap but they had to have quiet time and play in their room until I came in to get them. Sometimes, they would fall asleep on the floor while playing. Most of the time, they played quietly.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 10:08 PM on Oct. 25, 2008