Making yogurt without a yogurt maker

My mom had a friend from India who made her own yogurt, but did not have a special machine for this. Does anyone know how to do it?

Anna92464

Asked by Anna92464 at 3:33 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I make mine in my crock pot. Turns out perfect every time.

Put 8 cups milk in the crock pot. Turn on low, cover and cook for 2 1/2 hours. Turn off and unplug. After 3 more hours, remove 2 cups of the milk and stir in 1/2 cup plain yogurt (with live cultures, most plain yogurts have these) and 1 pkt. unflavored gelatin (optional, but makes for a stiffer yogurt instead of fluid) into the 2 cups milk. Whisk back into the warm milk in the crock pot for a minute or two, cover the crock again and wrap a couple of towels around it. Let it set for 8 hours or overnight. Remove towels and lid, and you'll have yogurt!
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:59 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I also has a friend from Pakistan who make yogart.

She'd use milk that was expired (like a day or two)...then heat it to a specific degree, maybe 140?, then it had to sit out on the counter for a while.

Sorry, i know thats not too helpful. It was a long time ago.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:36 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• in a dehydrator

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:36 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• You can make it in the oven by the heat of the lightbulb.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 4:02 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• It's easy to make your own yogurt, but it's not that easy to find the bacteria necessary to start, so funnily enough the best way to start is with some yogurt :)

I once looked through this website forstep and step instructions. What I do make is my own farmer's cheese and the process is very similar.

Sharon

momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 6:28 PM on Oct. 7, 2010