Do you think the US can "bounce back" from another terrorist attack?

Michael Leiter, head of the National Counterterrorism Center, has been quoted as saying that the US could "bounce back" from another terrorist attack. Here's a link to the article:

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.6f90940f6d9bb44d73f1c586d3a44fbb.1021&show_article=1

He also is quoted as saying that there was no guarantee that intelligence and law enforcement agencies could prevent every attempt by extremists to attack the United States.

The second quote, I can partially understand--no, I don't think we CAN guarantee that law enforcement and intelligence can prevent *every* attempt by extremists to attack the US.

The first quote? My response is: If we do get attacked again, tell that to the people who will die in the attack!!

tinamatt

Asked by tinamatt at 3:42 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Could the country bounce back? As a whole, yeah, sure, for the most part. But we should not have to. We should have been using this time over there to stomp out the threat of terrorism so soundly that they are too frightened and too undermanned to considered attacking us. Instead, our troops' hands are tied with wishy-washy 'battle' plans that tell our enemies exactly how long they have to hold out until we're gone.

They are telling us that we could bounce back because we ARE going to be attacked in the near future. They just don't know when or where it will happen. They are telling us that they cannot protect us, so we need to prepare to take care of ourselves. If you don't have a readiness plan in place, make one today and start filling it.

And, no, I'm not a conspiracy nut or a fear monger. I'm serious.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 5:47 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• It is as ludacris and disgusting as Obamas statement that we can 'absorb' another attack.This is the MAIN purpose of the federal government..to protect our borders and people.Look for it in our USC..and THIS is what we hear from them? Gee you can just 'absorb' a terrorist attack...'you'll all be ok..you can deal.'
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 3:48 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Surrrre sweet sure and yes I have no doubt that we will endure another attack..France banned the burka wearing in public..gee wonder why..maybe because Europe has been dealing with these attacks far longer than we have.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:10 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• There is no infallible prevention of another attack, that's a given.

As to whether the US would bounce back ... considering how NOT prepared most cities, most people, and how fragile our infrastructure really is ... I doubt it.

I do think that if there is another attack, and if it is once again a bunch claiming to do so in the name of Allah, that Islam would not bounce back ~ or be tolerated for at least several generations.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 4:20 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• This is AMERICA, I think we can make it through anything!!
    If this country would stop ripping each other apart and hating each other for all the differences we would be unstoppable!

Thinking we won't get attacked again, must be a very comfortable bubble to live in.

"bouncing back" to me just means making it through and being able to stand tall and give the "bad guys"a big F*U we aren't going anywhere!!

People need to have plans on actions like these, not out of "fear mongering" but just prepared-ness. Attacks happen EVERYDAY in other countries, you need to have some kind of 'plan of action' if you ever caught yourself in that situation, otherwise chaos would be the deciding factor and that would only make things 10x worse.
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 6:06 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Sweet get real..it was all blase sounding and you know it..or maybe you just love giving the free passes as usual
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:02 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Sister, I don't in any way think we would roll over or cease to exist ~ nor did I mean to imply that.

I DO think that depending on the severity of an attack, or how widespread it would be, it would take a lot to put things back together and that there be a lot of casualties ... from the attack itself and the mess afterward.

There are a lot of people that would pitch in and start the cleanup, but there are just as many that would be sitting around homeless and holding their hands out because they don't believe they have any responsibility to take care of themselves or their families. That isn't a supposition, it's what happens every time there is a disaster. If we had more of the first group and less of the second we'd be far better prepared.

Like you, I have good people around me. I've also got supplies, tools, and know-how. Many in the cities do not, and if supplies are halted they will be in trouble.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 5:05 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• It all depends on where, what type of bomb or attack is carried out, and when!! I think we could bounce back from a "9/11 style" attack, but a multiple, simultaneous nukes and/or dirty bombs, IMO, would render this country helpless!!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:13 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• can ANYONE guarantee that?

Comprehend much? I believe she stated that she understood that statement in the op.

I am still waiting to see if we can bounce back from progressives in power.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:15 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Do you think this country,collectively, is that weak? Seriously? I don't know about you, but I'm strong, fit, sharp and able- bodied, most of the people I am surrounded by are the same. Not so tough and independent after all, I guess-

***
    I have no doubt that my husband and I could protect ourselves and family (as well as most of our friends and family), and indefinitely weather a disabling attack--that doesn't directly hit us, of course! We are resourceful, skilled, fit, and stocked with months worth of provisions.

I think there are many (mostly city dwellers and low income folks) who would suffer the most from a major attack. If you've never learned how to "live off the land," you do not develop the kind of innate survival skills that our ancestors eons ago used--a case of "use it or lose it!"

I'll bet most people don't have emergency plans in place! Our plan includes a safe meet up place and specific roles.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:30 PM on Oct. 7, 2010