Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can I help my daughter?

My 19 year old has been sick for weeks, very nausated, dizzy, and complaining of abdominal pain. We've been to the ER three times. They've done an ultrasound, CT scan and blood work. So far they've found, a cyst on her ovary, and a bacterial infection. They believe there is a digestive problem and want a scope done. She needs to return to a specialist. I'm carrying her around, trying to force her to eat. She's told me she's dying, she's losing weight, and I'm beginning to freak out.
I get her to eat a few bites and she's done. I feel like I can't leave her alone. The hospital won't keep her, I'm fearful because she says, "Just leave me here I wanna die, I'm tired of being sick." I'm confused and afraid. I need to work and there's no
one to care for her. What do I do? I have no idea what's wrong?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:04 PM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Health

Answers (4)
  • Have you told the doctors what she is saying? She may be a danger to herself, and there may be steps you can take because of that.

    Answer by gdiamante at 3:07 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

  • Does she have an eating disorder you dont know about?

    Answer by CoreyLynn at 3:54 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

  • Take her to the doctor for the suicidal ideation. Regardless of her illness physically, it is emotionally getting her down enough to help her not hurt herself. I agree with coreylynn to consider eating disorder. You don't need a doctor's order usually to go to a counselor. Check your insurance. That type of professional will help you with the question of eating disorder. It sounds rediculous that the other doctor's didn't rule that out or suggest it but the ER is a fix it and release the patient place. They aren't big picture physicians.

    Answer by manna1qd at 5:05 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

  • Talk to her doctor. Tell her that this chronic illness is causing her to be depressed and you are worried about her state of mind. You can also take her to the ER and insist she be admitted, but it may not be covered by your insurance. Better to have her doctor insist on admitting her.

    Answer by jespeach at 11:15 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.