Peanut butter before age 1?

I went to bed early last night for the first time since my girl has been born, she is 11 months, when dad came in to put her to bed he told me he had fed her a bunch of peanut butter, i freaked out! But she hasn't had any reaction, does that mean it's safe to give to her now?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 3:54 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yeah, probably. Only in certain countries (like the US and UK) do they recommend avoiding peanuts, and those countries (where they recommend avoidance) have more peanut allergies developing than the ones where they don't recommend it.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:56 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• You are probably not going to have to deal with peanut allergy. We just learned that our 2-year old grandson is allergic, but he had a pretty severe reaction to a milkshake. He had had little tastes of it twice before and would immediately start to scratch at his tongue and mouth. The allergic response comes very quickly, so you are probably home free.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:01 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I would still hold off... MD'S say no aspirin till your 18yrs of age, so just because my 15yr old did fine with aspirin once doesn't mean she'll be okay the 2nd or 3rd time... I'd ask your pediatrician about the P.B. you may of lucked out...

emily1230

Answer by emily1230 at 4:24 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• aspirin ? 18? what?
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 4:33 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I think Emily1230 was just making an example using Apsrin, though it didn't have any relevence.

If your child has had no reaction then she should be fine. However, I personally would still hold off until she is one.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:45 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• well, she isn't allergic but there is still the chocking hazard to think about. a thin layer on a piece of bread I think would be okay. Out LO's had that round 10-11 months.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:57 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• she's one in a month so it doesn't make all that much difference. thanks!
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 7:27 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I would not do it again. We waited till he was over 2 years old.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 7:40 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My kids love peanut butter. i gave it to them at a young age had no problems. But the funny thing is my mother had a bad reaction after years of eating fish she became sick after years of eat in fish. Every one body reacts different some people can take thing for a long period of time. My cousin never had a reaction to peanut butter now a an adult he developed a reaction. i say do what comes natural and have fun with you child.
    dorotheabrown37

Answer by dorotheabrown37 at 8:41 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• As a parent of a peanut allergic child I can only tell you what our experience was. My DD had several exposures to peanut butter prior to her first reaction. From them we assumed she was not allergic. Then, around her 2nd birthday, we gave her her own PBJ. She took a bite. Fine. Took a 2nd, She started to complain that her mouth felt funny. We assumed it was the texture. Hours later she threw up. We did not connect it. A few days later we were baking cookies with PB baking chips - she ate one little chip. Ate the 2nd and vomited profusely. Then broke out in hives and then vomited again. On a scale of 0-5 she tests at a 4+. Point is? It took several exposures before she began to react. It's not always the case, but it does happen. On the other hand, there are studies that say delayed introduction does NOT improve the odds of avoiding an allergy. And some studies say it can. Go figure. ;) Do what feels right to you.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:03 PM on Oct. 7, 2010