Co sleep with baby?

so I am about to become a mother in two weeks and I have two other friends who have had babies last year... I love them to death but they are driving me nuts with their un asked for advice...

the latest advice is to get a heavy duty bedside co sleeper that looks like a mini crib and then to let them sleep in the bed with you when they turn one... emailing me all these online articles of why it's better for a child to sleep with mommy for the first 2 years..

I personally think this is rediculous..... I plan to have the babies in a co sleeper for the first 3 months, once that 3 months is up I plan to move them into their own room and crib right across the hall from us with a baby video monitor in the room.

Am I crazy? really? these girls dont even buy cribs

FITmama2B

Asked by FITmama2B at 3:55 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We kept our babies in a cradle in the room with us until they were about 3 months old. Then they moved to their own rooms and slept in the crib. My rest is way too important to me to have ever started sleeping with my children. By the way, they are all grown now and none of them are warped or have any noticeable character flaws nor traumas.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:58 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• It is a personal choice. For some women it is just more convenient to not have to get up every time the baby cries. At three months most babies are still getting up once or twice a night so, some moms find it easier to keep them in the bed/room with them. In four months you may find it easier to keep the baby in your room, you won't know until you get there.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:00 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• You do what you want to. It's your child. I co-slept for 4 years with my son. Do whatever works for your family. I found it much easier to nurse at night when the baby was right there, Just roll over and nurse. No one has to get up, but you do what you want. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:01 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I am not a fan of co-sleeping. You will get a lot of advice on just about everything during this pregnancy. You do what is best for you and your family!
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 4:01 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Both my kids were in their cribs from day one. Good luck and congrats!
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 4:03 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I co-slept and will with subsequent kids. It's easier to nurse and i feel more comfy knowing I can hear them breath and monitor their sleeping until they pass the safe mark.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:03 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My son moved to a crib at 2 months of age. Before that he was in his own bassinet in our room. He sleeps from 7pm to about 4:30 am, in his OWN room in his own crib. When he gets up for that 4:30 feeding I will then pull him into bed with me for the rest of the night, until we get up at about 8 am.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 4:15 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• The best advice I ever got was to listen to my own instincts. It sounds like what your friends are doing is working really well for them! It may not feel as comfortable to you and your partner. Although well intentioned I'm sure your friends excitement can sometime come across as pressure or maybe even judgement if you choose something different for your family. Having a response ready always makes me feel more in control and prepared. May I suggest something like..."I am glad you enjoy co-sleeping, "Partner" and I are going to wait and see how every body sleeps best after baby arrives."

Coincidentally, often I had an image in my head of how I would parent my child and once I got knee deep into parenting that child I had to do what felt right not how I thought it should be. ALL kids are different. Only YOU know your child the best. Trust in that and you'll do great!
    taxifor6

Answer by taxifor6 at 4:16 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• oh yes they are die hard opinionated mothers... everything from anti circumsicion ( thank god im haven two girls) and cloth diapers.... which sounds nice but when you think of twins and laundry, id rather not...
    FITmama2B

Comment by FITmama2B (original poster) at 4:20 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Well, everyone is different. I found cosleeping easy too. Don't "plan" to move baby by 3 mos, because babies have their own plans. You might find that baby wants to be in their own space before that, or you might find that you prefer to continue to cosleep longer then 3 mos.

What is your question? Not sure...are you asking what WE did? I coslept part of the night with DD (my oldest) and full time with DS. He moved into his crib around 2 yrs.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:47 PM on Oct. 7, 2010