What could have caused my 3 1/2 year old to develop a heart murmur?

She didn't have it last week, nor has she had it before now. Today they found it. They said it is an "innocent murmur".

How innocent can a murmur really be?

I'm worried. Especially since she has surgery next week. Although the pediatrician did say today it is nothing to worry about.

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 3:58 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Here's some info that might make you feel better. 

http://americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4594

5BabyBees

Answer by 5BabyBees at 4:29 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• i had a heart murmur at birth and naturally grew out of it in my childhood. anything with the word "heart" in it is scary especially when it comes to your little ones. as long as the doctor said she is okay, i would not over stress and worry myself. good luck
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:01 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• more than likely it has been there all along, it was just nobody caught it till now
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:02 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I was told I have a heart murmur...its not a bad murmur. I had an EKG and echo cardiogram done...the technician who did it said all most everyone has a murmur of some sort.....so if the Dr isn't worried about it......I'm sure your daughter is fine

tracylyn245

Answer by tracylyn245 at 4:05 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Try not to be worried. My son went for an annual physical one year for baseball and was diagnosed with a heart murmur and we were sent to a pediatric cardiologist. I told him my son had never had any problems and that how did this happen. He told me it was nothing to worry with and that kids just "don't" get them they are born with them. He was never restricted from any activities and has never had any problems.
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 4:06 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Honestly a heart murmor can be normal, and nothing to be opver concerned about. I had one, my brother had one, and my DD had one at less than a year of age. We all grew out of them. :)

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 4:09 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I had been told off and on during my entire childhood that I had a heart murmur - then nothing for most of my adulthood until 3 yrs ago when my current doc said something about having one. I've and an echo and it was discovered that I have a bicuspid aortic valve and its something I've had since birth, but at some point in my life (think many years in the future here) I'll have to have it replaced.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:13 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I had an innocent heart murmur as a child. Basically what is happening is her heart is skipping maybe a beat beat and a half, so basically it goes (bum-bum,bum-bum,bum-bum,silence,bum-bum). My mom was worried too, but there is nothing to worry about. If it is innocent, then nine times out of ten hers will go away in time. Mine did when I turned 16 I believe cause they could no longer hear the pause lol. But anywho like I said, if it is innocent, then she will be fine.
    mama408

Answer by mama408 at 4:16 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• ill be prayin for yall
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 8:44 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My son has a murmur as well that they "discovered" at around 18 mths. His is also an innocent murmur although it is a loud one. they did an ekg and ultrasound of his heart and the cardiologist saw nothing wrong.

if you are still worried talk with his doctors some more...i know part of what gave me peace of mind was seeing the pediatric cardiologist.

I had a heart murmur as a child as well and went through a few surgeries where everything turned out fine.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:18 PM on Oct. 7, 2010