MY son is the only one at school who throws tantrums, and hes FIVE. What can I do so that he will calm down and start learning instead of disrupting class.

I give him love and attention, not too much not to little. Ive been called from school over 15 times because he's either hit someone, thrown something, crying because he cant do something, ex. he couldnt draw a perfect circle so he threw a fit. He will cry at the top of his lungs and throw himself on the floor. I have a seven year old girl who I have absolutely NO problems with. I've tried a reward system, where if he has five good days he gets a toy. Ive also been in the class room and there are a few kids who speak out or laugh with other students, and the teacher ignores them. Could that have something to do with it it? Maybe she ignores him when he needs something? I don't know, but I am getting worried because he is falling behind on learning. At home, I have no issues with him like this. Please if you have had the same thing happen or similar, let me know what you have tried? thank you .

butterfly_Az602

Asked by butterfly_Az602 at 4:02 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sounds like he's having trouble contronling himself.

What assistance has the school offered you, besides calling you to pick him up?
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:03 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I'm not sure what to say. How long has your son been in the classroom?
    Honestbest

Answer by Honestbest at 4:11 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I think I might pull him out of school and keep him back a year. I would use that year to teach him self-control at home. I would deliberately withhold granting him instant gratification for his every whim, and I would probably spank his rear if he showed any kind of disrespect toward me. That's probably his basic problem--he does not respect the authority of the teacher enough to obey her, and she has no recourse except to send him home when he refuses to cooperate or be under his own self-control. We start teaching this at about age 2 so that by the time they reach school age, they know they are to obey all authority and to be obedient and cooperative.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:14 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Did he go to PreK? If not, he is probably trying to get used to the situation. You don't say how he behaves at home. I'm assuming this behavior is just at school. I concur with the pp who asked what assistance the school is giving you.
    What does your ds say about his behavior? If you ask him what would help, what would he say.
    My son was a perfectionist at times too. It made homework very very difficult, but he acted okay at school.

Hugs to you and good luck!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 5:12 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I have a son who does this, BUT he has PDD-NOS. And, no, I am not telling you this to try to scare you. I am just saying that maybe he is a little freaked out about the fact that there are so many other kids in the classroom and he can't get the one-on-one help that he was used to at home? If I were you, I would try to set up a meeting with the teacher and involve the principal in it and see if they have any ideas, since the teacher may see some other, less disruptive problems.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 6:54 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• speak firm to him, redirect him and spank him and reward him for his good behavior
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 1:11 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• It sounds like he's not ready for that environment. Maybe take him out of school and start him again next year. Boys take longer than girls to be ready for school.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:27 AM on Oct. 13, 2010