Overwhelmed by rudeness

It is like there are no manners anymore, everywhere I go lately people are in a hurry and rude. There is no such thing as customer service anymore, there is no such thing as being polite anymore. It is not just children, it is everyone. Are we not teaching common things like manners anymore? What are you doing as an example to your children on how to be polite?

Bubbie0809

Asked by Bubbie0809 at 4:04 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• It's a sad thing, isn't it?
    When you say "Thank You" they say "Yep" and turn away. What happened to "You're Welcome" and eye contact? I say "Please", "Thank You", and "You're Welcome" all the time. And I instill that into my kids, because I believe manners are a vital part of social interaction. When you say "Excuse Me" to someone blocking the isle they either ignore you (especially if they're conversing with a friend) or they move an inch forward. Clearly not enough room to get myself and a cart full of kids through. What happened to "Pardon me." And move out of someone's way? Or at least the eye contact and acknowledgement that you're in someone's way, at least.

I understand that in this country (US) specifically there are hard times. Economy is failing, jobs are being revoked, there's family issues, tragedy, crisis, etc. But I don't understand how it became okay to burn bridges and seperate yourself from everyone.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:34 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My daughter is only two, but we are already starting her with politeness. She says thank you every time you give her something, whether it's a toy, food or turn the TV to her favorite channel. We are also starting with the "yes sir/ma'am, no sir/ma'am." I do agree, people are so rude these days. You can't go out in public these days in a good mood without someone ruining it with their bad attitude.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 4:06 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My 2 yr old can already say please and thank you. She uses it all the time. We are working on your welcome and excuse me. There are people out there with mannors they are just hard to find now a days
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:05 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• i agree with you 100%. but i am teaching my kids the same way i was taught, to say your please and thank you's and other common manners and respects.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:06 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Yes, I also agree. My daughter just turned 2 in July and already says please, thank you, and you're welcome. She loves to say sorry, it's the cutest. She will purposely bump into me (very lightly), so that she can say Sorry and give me a hug. It's so dear.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:10 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I agree, my parents were very big on manners. When I got to college I was taken aback by the terrible table manners, the lack of courtesy and gratuity. I definitely followed in my parents foot steps on teaching manners. I think it's still important.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 4:11 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Manners are part of every day life for us. When we are addressed in the store my kids respond to the clerk's "thank you" with a thank you of their own. They know to hold the door for others, just be kind and courteous. They learn this from seeing it every day in the adults around them. Having good manners helps to have kids with good manners.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:18 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My boys were taught manners from a very early age and now as young men are very caring, courteous people. My oldest used to go up to a lady and take her hand and kiss it. He started this when he was two and continued on for years. There are many with manners, they are just blended in with the ones without, but they are there.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 6:45 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• my kids are pretty good with the manners for the most part. although now my 2yr old has started this new thing where i will tell her to do something and she will say "no thank you" but i do know what you mean, alot of people just dont get it
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 7:50 PM on Oct. 7, 2010