Does anyone else have this happen to them?

My son is 17 months old and won't eat anything I try to feed him. I try to feed him the exact same things he "loves" to eat at his grandma's, and the same things his dad feeds him. Often times when he eats, his dad will stay with him and I leave the room, otherwise he won't eat. I know he'll eat if he's hungry, but I'm so frustrated!

MomMom23

Asked by MomMom23 at 4:07 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No, no, no, no, no Stepho345. NEVER bribe a kid with junk just to get them to eat. That is a horrible lesson to teach them. Ontop of that, then all they're going to want is the junk and that leads to all sorts of issues.

Kids are funny in the way that your kid is, OP. They trust some people over others for the silliest things. It could also be that your husband or mom does it differently then you do. If you're hand feeding him I would suggest to stop. Put the food on his plate and let him go at it. It's important for him to learn to feed himself, and also it will eliminate (one would hope) the game he plays about who can feed him.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:30 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My two year old is doing that lol. She is a VERY picky eater and won't eat unless my mother in law or my husband feed her
    mama408

Answer by mama408 at 4:08 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• OMG my kids eat everything! From anyone! Try sweets... Cinnamon roll, or pop tart, its something. My pedi says crap is better than nothing at all. :)
    stepho345

Answer by stepho345 at 4:17 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Ughh...yes, my daughter will love something one day and then throw it on the floor the next. She drives me absolutely berserk! I just offer her healthy foods, if she doesn't eat it....that will be her hungry belly, not mine. I go through at least 3 meltdowns a day, because she wants milk instead of water. I allow milk in the morning and milk at night. The rest of the day is water............she gets mad, but I don't give in.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:19 PM on Oct. 7, 2010