SAHM...what do you think of this article?

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/25/opinion/25hirshman.html

I came across this today.

I am a SAHM and honestly this article made me a little angry. Can women not be good role models to their daughters by being sucessful mothers? Can we not teach our daughters how important education is by showing them our many talents and by showing them all the ways that we still use our education in our everyday lives?

Also it seems to me that the author of this article assumes that women make the choice to stay home because of finances or because being a working mom is overwhelming. Now I'm not saying that some women don't make the choice because of those reasons but I chose to stay home because I thought that is what was best for my children not because it was best for the pocket book.

Thoughts?

miasmommy21407

Asked by miasmommy21407 at 4:10 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I havent even read it but from what you said it already makes me angry! My husband and I decided it was the best thing or our children to have me stay home. I have a degree but I stay home with my kids and Im happy!! I know that theyre safe and are learning and arent being abused. I dont think there is anything wrong with staying home. I think its the hardest job anyone could ever have!
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 4:26 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I think I don't care. Many women have a negative view of SAHM's. So what? If anything, I rather pity her. That she feels a paycheck is the only way to be role model, or to use her talents, or to affect society? I'm glad I'm not so limited in my views of all the wonderful ways women can be successful.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 4:26 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• They have been trying to put down SAHMs for years. I'm very proud that I stayed home with my kids. They did very well in school, I was always there when they needed me.
    A SAHM is a job that many do not want to do, it is not easy. My kids saw me work hard everyday, I was at work 24/7, . My kids have said thank you to me for being a SAHM and they have always been proud of me.

I baby sat for mom's that worked and they told me that it was easier to go to work. (these where women that had a choice) not talking about women that don't have a partner he help and have to work.

gammie

Answer by gammie at 4:27 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• A 3 year old op-ed? Really?
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:28 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• The author of that opinion piece knows what she can do with her opinion. I chose to be a stay at home mom because I knew that was what was best for my family. My husband and I have always agreed that one of us should be home with the children. Granted, my son is seventeen, arent my troubles in the trenches over? ON the contrary! He's special needs and it would cost more to have someone care for him, extra gas if not another car, `work clothes, etc if I chose to go to work now.
    She implied that stay at home women can do nothing to use their talents. That is outright bull! Mothers who stay home put their talents to good use! Some homeschool, others volunteer at the school or clubs. Some are involved in church activities that help the community. Some turn out to be writers or artists while the little ones nap. There is far more to life than just climbing up the job ladder. More rewarding too.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 4:29 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I chose to because I thought our children would be better off with me being home with them at least until they started school. Finances were a secondary concern but still valid. Of course everyone does what is best for them. This is what was best for us. I don't care much for studies on the subject anymore. They all seem to have a definite tilt one direction or the other. Either its staying home is bad because it means the moms are lazy or working is bad because moms aren't involved with their children. Most of the time it seems like a bunch of bull.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 4:31 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I stay home for multiple reasons. At first it was finance...but now it is because I don't want someone else raising my children. My kids are 4 and 3, and I want to be the ones shaping them at this impressionable time. Anyone who says SAHmotherhood is easy, or isn't a fulltime job, has never done it. I LOVE my kids, but there are days when its all I can do not to scream at them. Preschoolers are a challenge, but a huge blessing...and an even bigger responsabilty. Here is how I view it: Whomever teaches little ones is literally raising the next generation. That sounds like a VERY important job... and it is one that should be soley up to the parents.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 4:32 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• This article is bs...UGH! I started staying home during my pregnancy because of the medical problems i had that got worse when I was pregnant and after DS was born I thought it would be best for him if I were home....DH would have stayed home and have me work but he couldnt get out of the military...I was going to start work again but because i only have my high shcool deploma then i can only get a min wage job where I live so my whole check would go to childcare and gas to get to work. So I would rather spend the time with DS on helping him learn new things and going to the park with him during the day then go to work and get no money out of it...
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 4:32 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• wow...sorry for all the typos in my answer... I need to proof read! LOL
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 4:36 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• GGGGGRRRRRRRRRR..... what crap. I have a college degree, and teach piano and write on the side, but I choose to stay home with my toddler children because I love them and want to be with them. I made them, I should raise them. What a stupid article. That's fine for her, but not for me. When they go to school, I will work more for my personal benefit.
    crystalhuskey

Answer by crystalhuskey at 4:38 PM on Oct. 7, 2010