Career women: Do you feel a debt of gratitude to the women who got us to where we are today?

I'm talking about the women who fought the fight for Women's Liberation in the 70s, who made it possible for us to have the careers we have today, to have the choices we have to work or not, to have our own money and the more equal relationships we (should) have today. I thank them all!!

ceallaigh

Asked by ceallaigh at 4:15 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

• Even women who choose to stay home with their children owe a debt of gratitude to the women who fought for liberation. Because of them women are free to make that CHOICE and are not forced into it and as such are much more empowered. Plus women generally get more respect now, it used to be common place and normal for a man to hit his wife and to "rule his roost" now women are equal partners in their families, even if they don't have pay check careers.

Now a days I feel like we are our own worst enemies because we fail to recognize the value in the choices that ALL women are free to make, and would rather judge each other for the choosing one way or another. We should be celebrating the freedom, not beating each other down.

Okay, I'm off my soap box now.
    :)
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:53 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I applaud the women who have fought and still fight for women's freedoms that have not come as easily as those of their male colleagues. I do not agree that we share as much equality in the workplace, and though we have our own money we do not get dollar for dollar what our male counterparts are awarded for the same jobs. Stay vigilant, never stop aiming higher. There is more work to do to further what the women who paved the way would have us do.
    artC1s

Answer by artC1s at 9:12 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I am all for equality. However, I do not feel I owe anyone a debt of gratitude. The snowball affect has created the mandatory double income society we live in today. It created a society where, with both people in the household working, retailers saw the opportunity to charge more since families could "afford" to pay more with double incomes. Women were ALWAYS allowed to have careers. My mom was a commercial graphic artist way before the "movement. But, now, more women are working because of the cost of living. Not for extra cash.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 4:42 PM on Oct. 7, 2010