How young is too young to babysit your kids?

The baby sitter I use in the evening is 16 almost 17, but I have recieved fliers from 13 year olds wanting to babysit. I think that it too you for kids 3 and 5. What do you guys think?

Bubbie0809

Asked by Bubbie0809 at 4:18 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• If it's a relative or family friend that I trusted I would say 13-15 in the minimum age. However, if it were someone I didn't previously know coming to babysit I would say no younger then 16.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:21 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• old enough to drive for sure for us. my DS's only babysitters have been my parents and DH's 20 year old neice
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:20 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I would only trust it if I KNEW the 13 yo. I babysat at age 12 for many kids in my neighborhood, but the parents KNEW ME, and were good friends with my parents. I don;t know any 13 well enough that I would allow them to babysit. I did have a 16 yo once, for my in laws KNOW HER very well(neighbor), and I see her often at family parties.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 4:21 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• under 16
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:21 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• i wouldn't do 13 that's for sure. then again the only people i trust to babysit are my close family and a select few close friends.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:22 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Here you get your babysitting liscense at 11 so I guess under that is too young.
    MummaMel

Answer by MummaMel at 4:25 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I would never, regardless of age, allow someone I'm not close to and know well watch my children... They go ONLY to immediate family and very close family friends (which as of yet has never had to happen) I can't imaging picking a sitter off a flyer or ad... Never!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:26 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• i wouldnt say any younger than 15
    kaitybuggsmomma

Answer by kaitybuggsmomma at 4:31 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My 16 year old sitter is my best friends daughter (I have known her since she was 9) But sometimes people don't have the luxury of having family to watch their kids. I picked my kids daytime sitter thru word of mouth, I didn't know her before she started watching my oldest son. I did all of the daycare questions, but I went with her based on a feeling I got and I am so super glad I did.
    Bubbie0809

Comment by Bubbie0809 (original poster) at 4:34 PM on Oct. 7, 2010