mother in law has a problem with used clothes.

My mother in law constantly says that she cannot believe that I buy my kids clothes from garage sales and consignment shops. Saying that it would be better for them to have a few new pieces than a lot of used pieces. I have told her in the past, if she did not like it to buy them clothes (of course she did not) My kids never look like they are wearing used clothes b/c I like probably everyone else is picky about what I buy.
I think she just looks for things to complain about, but she makes it sound like my kids are not well taken care of. What else can I say, or should I just let my husband handle her?

Bubbie0809

Asked by Bubbie0809 at 4:29 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Relationships

• The next time she brings it up, tell her you have noted her opinion on the subject, disagree with her, and tell her firmly that the discussion is closed and you do not want to hear anymore about it. That she is more than welcome to buy clothing for your children, but you will not discuss this issue at all.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 4:47 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Tell her to piss off and mind her own business. I do the very same thing. What may $20 for an outfit they will outgrow in less then a year when you can get an outfit for $5?
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:32 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I'd roll my eyes at her....and buy all her Christmas and Birthday gifts at thrift stores, hehehehe.

90% of the clothes we buy in this house are used....it's a great way to recycle and not spend more than you have to on items. I get Gymboree and Ralph Lauren items for my kids for 79 cents to $2 each at thrift stores. They can wear them, then once outgrown I sell them on ebay. I've sold used Ralph Lauren outfits for as much as $15. One ladies tank dress I bought for $3 and sold for $55 on ebay!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:33 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• The way kids grow- it makes good fiscal sense to buy clothes that way. And b/c other peoples kids grow just as fast, they dont have time to wear out their clothes! It's better for the environment too. You were right to tell her that if she wishes to, she could buy them something new. Assuming she is finacially able to do so. I wouldnt let her get to you too much tho. It's much easier to keep the peace.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:35 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• i agree with mommy of two...
    kaitybuggsmomma

Answer by kaitybuggsmomma at 4:33 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Umm...don't even tell her. It's none of her business. Unless she is going to buy them for you, she should keep her trap shut. I have the opposite problem, my MIL buys me daughter TOO MUCH clothing. My daughter has so many outfits and dresses that many things she only ends up wearing once. It's stressful trying to make sure she wears everything, because all of it is beautiful...it's just too much. That money would be of better use to my daughter in a savings account, rather than wasted on items she will only wear once.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:37 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I agree with all these girls, what does she care and if it bothers her that much why don't she buy theclothes. I bet she'd really bitch if you spent her sons (their father) money on expensive outfits only to grow out of them in a month, that's assuming your a sahm.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 4:37 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• You can tell her it's none of her business, but really, if it's your MIL, your husband should be the one to tell her to shut up about it. No reason to cause family strife over it.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:35 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Thats crazy that she is saying that....my MIL is the one telling me not to go out and spend all that money since DS is still young and grows faster then he can wear his clothes....she is the one sending me all the used stuff and i go through to make sure they are clean with no stains...
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 4:37 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Keep it up.. everytime it is brought up, tell her to donate some money to the "brand new and overpriced new clothes for my kids" foundation and until she does her opinion does not matter in your household!
    VanessaMomof2

Answer by VanessaMomof2 at 4:43 PM on Oct. 7, 2010