2.5 cm diliated, 50% effaced...due date Oct 25 How long can that give me?

Went to the dr's on Tues and they said that I was 2.5 cm dilated and 50% effaced. This is our first baby so we're not familiar with what this all in all means time frame wise, or if it means anything at all. Since my check up my lower region has been feeling much more pressure. What are your experiences as far as dilation and effacement? Did you deliver earlier than scheduled

mire621

Asked by mire621 at 4:33 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Of coarse you can deliver early. It's like 1% of a babies come on their due date. With my son I was dilated at a 2 for almost a month and 80% effaced.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:35 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• FIRST OF ALL. IM SO JEALOUS! My first took A LONG time to become dialated at all. You can go anytime hun.... you can go all the way up to your due date! It sucks but once your contractions are about 5 minutes apart or you water break! I wish i had something better for you! CONGRATS
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 4:36 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• You could go today or on October 25, its hard to tell
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 4:36 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• u never know
    RenoMama

Answer by RenoMama at 4:38 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• It could be today, Oct 25 or even Nov 8. Most of all that means nothing. You can go into labor naturally between 38-42 weeks. Or earlier or later. MOST first time mom's if left alone will go into labor at 41 weeks and a day or two.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:39 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• It just means that things are progressing but it really doesnt tell you when you will go into labor. To give you an idea I was dialated 4 and 80% effaces for almost an entire month before I had my son....I was dialated less than 1 when I went into labor for my daughter, its all up to your body and the baby.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 4:40 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• That sounds like me with my second....and I went 5 more weeks.
    BabyBoyBlue

Answer by BabyBoyBlue at 4:42 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• everyone is different so you can go into labor tomorrow or be overdue.
    with dd i was 2cm by 24 weeks 25% effaces at 28 wks i was 4cm and 50 % effaced i had her at 38 wks
    with ds i was 2 cm by 32 wks and 3 cm by 34 wks i had him at 37 wks
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:28 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• It's exciting to have some progress, but like everyone else said, it really doesn't mean much.
    I dilated a little, like 2 cm a week or so before I had my first son. I didn't dilate at all with the other two until I went into labor, and they were still fairly quick labors, 12 and 8 hours, from the very first contraction until I had them in my arms. But I know other people who have walked around for weeks at 4 cm.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 5:46 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• All of that stuff means NOTHING. Seriously. Women can walk around dilated to 4 cm for weeks and not go into labor. Or you can not be dilated one day and go into labor the next.
    I know how anxious women feel toward the end, and are dying to have SOME idea of when the big day will come, but you won't know until you start having contractions or your water breaks.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:18 PM on Oct. 7, 2010